icon

mecp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cletis 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I was just wondering how tough the MECP cert is to get.  I have an A.A. in electronics and have been installing stereos as a hobby for years.  I have an FCC cert that covers what I consider to be difficult questions in electronics, way beyond resistance, capacitance, etc.  I saw a web site where you could take the test for like $40.  I just want to know how hard it is, what kind of things are on it, and if it is something that you really need to study for.
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

If you're really worried about the exam, i wouldn't be...then again, mobile dynamics did a great job of preparing us for the exam so i shouldn't say that. If you ARE really worried about taking it here's a link that will give you a practice exam.

http://www.ce.org/certifications/mecp/exam/default.asp

hope that helps

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
midwayelec 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
I am also an MECP Certified Installer. I've actually only had about 3 months experience in installing before I took the test. I did have some electrical experience, but not a whole lot. The basic test is actually somewhat easy I thought. I catch onto things quite easy, and also I learned everything I needed to know from Installer Institute. However after my year's experience I went back and took the first class test, and it was quite difficult. I still haven't gotten my results back, but should be coming this week.
Sean Cawby
Midway Electronics
Rensselaer, IN
219-866-3716
wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, the same experience with me...the First Class Test is quite difficult and the basic one is pretty easy. It helps to get preparation for the test also...if you know of a company that helps prepare you for MECP you're way ahead of the game. Or even if you purchase the MECP study guide, it becomes that much easier.

The hardest part about the MECP First Class is the alarms. UGH. There are a lot of different relay questions and door pinswitch questions. You have to really know your stuff for ahwhile before you take it otherwise it's really hard. I passed it with an 87%. I got great on the first two sections and only managed an 80% on the alarms. Good Luck.

Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic