icon

altima remote start failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shortys9 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2009 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
So in my 08 altima with push start and intellikey I had a viper 791xv installed with remote start. The first shop got the alarm working fine but the remote start caused my factory keys to unprogram themselves and had to take it to the dealership to get reprogrammed. I brought it to another place that had actually done one of these cars before and the exact same thing happened. I am using an xk07 bypass. Anyone have any idea what could cause this to happen?
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
right now my car is at the nissan dealership. The car does not start. The car will not recognize the intellikey. They are saying it could be very expensive just to diagnose. Anyone run into this problem before doing a remote start that knows what could cause it? Please give me some advice or send me a pm with any info that might be able to help.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
I've never used an xk07. My suggestion would be to use a DLPK bypass. It's likely something very simple that htey did wrong but the dealership will try to get every penn out of you/the shop that did it. Where did you get it done?
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
at an alarm shop in delray florida. Should I have to pay anything to get this fixed? I brought my car to this shop working, am I wrong in assuming I should get it back working?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
The XK07 is the worst bypass there possibly is for that car---it doesn't even let you do takeover. The fact that this shop is using an XK07 is alerady one point against them.
Anyway, should you have to pay out of pocket? We're installers, not lawyers, but I'd want to say, of course not.
The car's under warranty, right? And the shop hopefully takes care of their own mistakes, if they're good.
The one thing I would say, is to give this shop a fair chance at troubleshooting and resolving the problem.
Call the install shop right away, talk with the manager or owner, and simply tell them the truth---the car broke down, it's at the dealer, won't start, and they think it's related to the remote starter.
A good shop will get in touch with the dealer directly, talk with them, maybe even go there and look at the car----basically do whatever it takes to figure out whether the problem lies with the car or the installation.
A bad shop will be arrogant, tell you they're perfect and there's no way it's their fault, and that the Nissan dealer's being a jerk. Then maybe you'll have to sue them or something.
If you pay out-of-pocket for ANY repairs at the Nissan dealership, get everything in writing, with detailed explanations of everything, and pay with a credit card for an extra measure of protection.
You can't expect the shop owner to pay a repair bill, or to win in court, if the receipt just says "car damaged by remote starter." Insist on a receipt that lists exactly what happened and why.
P.P.S. You did say it's an 08, right? Because there was a recall for the 2007 Altimas erasing keys if you had them too close to a Mobil SpeedPass or cellular phone.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
yes the car is under warranty. The tech at nissan looking at it told me this wont be covered because someone installed the remote starter. I did not even bring the car to the dealership, the shop installing it brought it there thinking they just needed the keys reprogrammed. I have a speedpass on my windshield above my rear view mirror, i don;t think that is close enough to erase it. I havent been able to speak to the shop owner. Yesterday it was just an installer and a girl working the phone there and just said everything they did was correct. The dealership is trying to contact the shop owner, hopefully they will be able to tomarow since it is monday and his shop will be open.
zerepdivad 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Look up the magnusson moss ferguson act. Print it and show it to the dealer. They can't just not cover it under warranty unless they in writing can prove the remote start caused that issue to happen. Bring up the recall as well to them.
That's like voiding the warranty for changing the rims on the car. Unless they can PROVE the remote start caused it, they have to cover it under warranty.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Just a commect on zerepdivad's point of voiding warranty for changing rims, locally, some car firms void warranty on vehicles for having larger rims than they specify to you installed on the vehicle you purchase, claiming, it places excessive strain on the engine!  altima remote start failure -- posted image.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
zerepdivad 
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
^ yeah they'll do and say anything to get out of doing warranty repairs.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Again, I'm not a lawyer, but it's common sense.
If there's something that's really wrong with the car, of course the dealer can't refuse to fix it just because you have a remote starter.
On the other hand, if the remote starter (or its incorrect installation) caused the problem, naturally the car's warranty wouldn't cover that.
If the shop brought the car to the dealership for whatever reason, let/MAKE them deal with the problem.
You might want to keep in touch with the Nissan dealer just to stay informed, but leave it at that.
If I'm not mistaken, if I'm understanding you correctly:
1. You had a remote starter installed.
2. The car had some kind of problem while at the install shop; said install shop brought car to Nissan dealer to be repaired.
3. At this point, don't forget that you're the customer of the install shop........and the install shop is the customer of tne Nissan dealer, as he's the one who chose to bring the car there.
4. If I were you, I wouldn't get involved with the Nissan dealer at all at this point, except maybe just as a curiosity to see when they'll be finished with your car.
5. It would seem that your car is still under the control of the install shop. My approach to this would be to contact the shop's owner or manager, asking when your car will be running and available to be picked up.
P.S. You didn't answer the question if your car is a 2008 for sure, or possibly a model year 2007. I'm pretty sure the Intelligent Key recall was for 2007 only.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic