icon

altima remote start failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shortys9 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
1. I had a remote start install attempted, and the guy never came back to finish and took my money. I than brought my car to this shop, told them what had happened and they looked at it and said it was wired wrong so they removed it all and started from scratch. The car worked fine when I brought it to them.
The install shop wants to take no responsibility for it saying that it was the way the previous installer installed it that caused this, which I am not buying because it worked fine for weeks before I brought it to them. and yes it is an 08.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
as chris said i know nissan had an issue with the 07's deleting the keys when too close to cell phones and speedpasses and such, but i was under the impression they had that resolved for 08,i use i datalink bypasses and dont know what they could have done to delete keys unless its an early 08 that mabe still had the same issue as the 07's, i would expect the shop to know about this and have mentioned it to the dealer, but it sounds like quite a mess, i too recommend getting in touch with the shop owner explaining that the car worked fine for weeks before bringing it to their shop and when can you expect to get it back in working order. i would at this point have them remove remote starter and not pay for it, and after getting car fixed investigate shops around there about getting one done, maybe even ask the nissan dealer which shop they use*( since you would know that they at least have experience with the car
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, I'm sorry to hear all that, especially now that I understand correctly...sucks all around.
Installer A is incapable of completing the install, and also somehow causes the car to lose key programming.
Installer B encounters same problem, and is not blaming installer A.
I have no idea. Other than the recall on the 2007s, I've never heard of installers making these cars drop keys. I've seen many installers make many screwups on these cars, but never dropping keys.
I'm highly suspicious of Installer B, because if they had any level of experience with these cars, they'd never be using an XK07---it doesn't allow takeover after remote start, the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge or fix it, and if installer B had done at least one of these cars already, he'd have stopped using this defective product by now.
We can't hope to give you accurate legal advice on this forum, but I advise that you document EVERYTHING, every phone call or other communication with the install shop and the Nissan dealer. If you pay for any repairs to the car, get and save all receipts. Insists that the dealer carefully spell out all details on the repair order. If you feel that the problem is Installer B's fault, consider pursuing him in small claims court.
P.S. Where do you live? There are several installers on this forum who are familiar with your car. It's a more complex, more time-consuming install than a regular car, but it's definitely doable (without damaging the car) if done correctly by a competent installer.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
so I had my car towed out of the dealership to a friend of mines shop. He is a mechanic and trust him 200% with my car. He will be looking at it tomarow to see if he can just repair the harness rather than replacing the entire thing (which would cost 1500$). Once this all gets resolved I will most likely take a wiz on the xk07 and never even think about getting a remote start again. btw I am in south florida for winter break now but go to school in orlando FL.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
There's likely not a lot to repair. If anything maybe a cut starter wire. ALl your mechanic friend will likely do is simply unhook hte unit and tape up the stripped away wires. As far as programming the keys i'm pretty sure the dealer has to do that.*most times*
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
its not just a starter wire. the car does not communicate with my key at all. doesnt unlock doors, doesnt start car, doesnt pop trunk....nothing.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
i heard from the shop my car is at and they diagnosed the problem. They said behind the dash there were a total of 85 wires that had been cut and will have to rebuild the wiring harness. total of 600$. alot better than the 1500 for parts the dealership wanted + 10 hrs labor
zerepdivad 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm. 85 wires cut for a remote start installation..... does not quite add up honestly. Not even close.
zerepdivad 
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
Not defending the installers in question here at all but 85 cut wires is VERY unlikely for a remote start install. hell 5 cut wires is VERY unlikely even. Only times you ever CUT wires is when you do starter kill, or when you need to relay isolate something like parking lights, or locks or something of that nature.
traviscoots 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

first of all, ive done a few of those cars and done so without a problem. there is a lot of work done at the bcm which is a pain, and at the fuse, relay center under the hood. the product i would strongly suggest to stay away from is dei, ive had nothing but problems with those, try to use a place that uses fortin or idata link bypasses, and personally i like ultrastart brand modules,

whatever shop installed any of the stuff should be responsible for any problems on the car caused by poor installation. i would be having a talk with them about any repair bills.

possibilities are limitless. if you can think it you can do it.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic