icon

altima remote start failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

I would say something smells really bad here and you need to find yourself a reputable straight up shop.

I think everybodys trying to get into your back pocket.

beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
robertsc wrote:

I would say something smells really bad here and you need to find yourself a reputable straight up shop.

I think everybodys trying to get into your back pocket.

I totally agree. This mechanic that you trust 200% is not helping you. Hopefully someone on here is in your area and can help you out. I would not trust the mechanic who told you anything about 85 wires being cut and a $600 dollar repair.
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
unless one of the installations was a real hack and during the course of stripping open the wires they cut them, but hell there arent even 85 wires hooked into in that car, i would recommend a reputable installer get involved and look at it with your reputable mechanic to verify this issue, and if the keys deleted themselves and do not work , i believe a nissan dealer has to recode them thru their nissan computer i have not heard of any mechanical garage having nissans computer access to accomplish this
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
I'm interested to see these 85 cut wires. Care to have them take a picture? ANd identify what wires they were, and what they controlled?
Definitely sounds like you're being taken for a ride by your mechanic that you trust. There's no way 85 wires would just be cut. Unless of course they, or the dealer did it haha.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Chris is on point the xk07 is the worst module for this car as I am sure you know by now.

I find it very fishy having done many of these cars without issue that they would have cut 85 wires @ the bcm? I would have to say your trusted mechanic can't be trusted to much especially at $600 dollars.

I have one questions can he guarantee after all "85" wires are repaired this is the problem at all?

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, 85 wires sounds like a LOT!
If my math is right (I'm counting on my fingers here!), when I do those cars, I make connections to a total of 12 factory wires at the BCM (body control module) behind the instrument cluster, and 4 wires at the IPDM (fuse box) under the hood.
Many installers connect their parking lights and brake wires at locations other than the BCM....in that case they'd make even fewer connections than I do.
I could see any installer (even a really great installer) making a couple of incorrect connections, then realizing his mistake, disconnecting them from the wrong wire in the car, and then reconnecting them to the correct one.
But there's no way, even with mistakes, it could all add up to 85 wires!
If this mechanic doesn't really know what kind of can of worms he's opening, doesn't know what surprises lay ahead, isn't making any money selling you parts (like he would with, say, brakes or a fuel pump).........I would say that $600 seems a little high, but actually not that crazy. He's certainly not inexpensive, but I don't know if he's too far out of line.
P.S. If you're curious to see what is involved in installing a remote starter in your car using an XK07, the install guide is here:
http://xpressdownload.com/getdocument.aspx?documentid=690
As you can see, there are more connections than a remote starter in a regular car, but not that many more.
P.P.S. I don't like the XK07 only because it doesn't allow takeover after remote start, and because the manufacturer has inexcusably refused to correct or even acknowledge this problem.
However, when properly installed, the XK07 will allow the car to remote start and run just fine, without dropping keys or other issues.
In your case, I only point to the choice of the XK07 as a sign that your installer(s) have little to no experience with your car.
However, the XK07 is not what damaged your car.
shortys9 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
my car still isnt working, they have the harness rebuilt and removed my remote start and my viper alarm. Right now the problem is the BCM and ECM are not communicating together.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
Not surprised. Take it somewhere that know's what they're doing. Maybe there's a couple hundred more cut wires in there somewhere....
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
el ranchero 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
no man, u should not have to pay anything, any shop that does work on your car should be able to do the work they promise, if they mess up they have to pay, i own a company and anything that i do wrong i need to cover it. that is why i carry insurance, a lot of shop dont play by the rules unfortuantelly but this guys need to fork up the money, even if u take it to the dealership they might not cover it under warranty due to being something electrical, but hey u might get lucky who knows, good luck.
rocker
xghost 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2010 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

So what your saying is your IPDM is not communicating? Also what you are saying is your BCM is not communicating? The IPDM will control start feature. BCM will control security and door locks. With this install was any modifications at the IPDM done? Relay install? I had an infinity with no door locks and start feature and it turned out the IPDM was shot. I pulled it and took it to an electric analyst to see if the board or any component were burnt. None found, only thing that could be concluded was the memory was wiped. So i swapped the module to another infinity and it showed the same symptons. No start, no door locks. I was certain I could make it start with a new IPDM. So I got a new one programmed and boom it fired. Still no door locks and security. Found no regulation of the BCM (5v). Bcm was then installed and all functions were good now. So after all this what was the point?

A can line was hit. With 12 volts. The truth came out. I agree with all the other people here. Something is real fishy. With installers and mechanics. Whats really going on?

So with key off engine off with dvom (ohm setting) what do pins 6 and 14 if the OBDII connector read? Termination circuit resistance.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic