icon

altima remote start failure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shortys9 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
So I called the shop that originally installed this alarm and failed at the remote start and told them about the situation. The installer told me he had wired up a relay that he thinks someone removed that was hooked up as follows (btw this is how he wrote it to me in an email)
PIN 85 GETS GROUNDED....,PIN 86 GETS POWER OFF THE KEY WITH IGNITION ON, START, AND RUN... 87A GOES NOWHERE 30 GOES TO POWER 12VOLTS THROUGH A 30 AMP FUSE...87 WILL POWER UP ONE SIDE OF THE UNDERHOOD FUSEBOX. I THINK THERE WAS A FEED WIRE TO THAT SIDE OF THE FUSEBOX THAT IS DEAD AND REQUIRES POWERYOU WILL BACKFEED THAT TO ALLOW THE CAR TO START
so does anyone think this is what is keeping my car from starting? I guess I will find out monday when my mechanic's shop opens.
beegbie 
Copper - Posts: 341
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sure that fuses were checked at some point? If this is true how will you or your mechanic know what wire to power up?
"I THINK THERE WAS A FEED WIRE TO THAT SIDE OF THE FUSEBOX THAT IS DEAD AND REQUIRES POWERYOU WILL BACKFEED THAT TO ALLOW THE CAR TO START"
Where is "that side of the fuse box"?
If you have this email I would save it for your lawsuit. It proves that the original installer did something to make the car not start with the key and had to alter the car.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think a mechanic would know to do any of this. This is not how the car is supposed to be wired up and it was also wired in such a way that only the original installer would know to do this.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2010 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm, and he types in all caps too. How nice.
Anyway, go to any of the bypass manufacturers' sites as linked previously, and take a look at the install guides for your car.
The installer is to connect terminals 30, 87, 86, and 85 to four corresponding wires in the underhood fuse box (IPDM), as shown in the diagram.
Your first installer's email could have been written a little bit more clearly, but it sounds like he simply tried to connect the underhood relay as it's suppposed to be.
Whether he connected it correctly or incorrectly would have to be checked.
I would open the underhood fuse box, and check every wire there for signs of being probed, cut, stripped, re-taped, et cetera. Try to get an idea if the installer(s) were connecting to the correct wires or not.
The relay is there only to allow the remote starter to engage the car's starter motor to crank the engine.
If properly installed, the relay should have no funcion or effect on starting the car with the key.
Also, again, if everything were properly installed, removing the relay should/would only cause the remote starter not to crank the engine....the car would still run and drive fine with the key even if you unplugged the relay and threw it away.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
the fuse box was shorted out and needed to be replaced.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
how do you short out a FUSE box? a FUSE box. was it not FUSED haha
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt short it out, the original installer of this whole thing shorted it out and hid it from me.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hope they are picking the tab for repairs and for the 2nd shops time invovled also.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
I think this shop is going out of business actually :(. I plan on going to small claims but if they are bankrupt I will not collect anything.
shortys9 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2010 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
got my car back and running again. was only out 300$ for the fusebox and labor.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic