Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gin&tonic 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Remote Start - ProStart CT 3100
Vehicle - 1996 Chev Lumina Van 3.1L V6
Every winter this old remote start acts up and we end up taking it somewhere to have it debugged. Works fine all winter, don't use it all summer and by the beginning of next winetr it's buggy again. The vehicle was purchased used with the remote start, no manual included.
I finally figured out the make and model of the remote start and decided I'd try and trouble-shoot the problem myself. This much I do know; (1) the flashing parking lights (3 quick flashes) during attempted start-up indicate that the remote start is locked out and therefore the parking lights flash three times but nothing else happens, (2) for some reason the technicians who've worked on it in the past have left the hood switch wire (gray) disconnected.
I tried everything as far as removing the tach watch lockout, resetting the module, and reprogramming. The only conclusion that I've come to is that the tach wire needs to be moved to a better tach source (as suggested in the manual).
Thoughts?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Where is the tach wire connected now?
ruki101 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2009 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

If connecting to instrument cluster is possible that would bemy first pick. Never fails on me. Its voltage is in AC, somewhere 6V-7V...

Goodluck!

Just About Anything Sparks
gin&tonic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
My apologies for not responding to the above sooner, I appreciate the replies. Bad time of the year for this as things have been a little crazy. Had a little trouble locating the tach wire and I hope I found the right wire. Took some photos that might help confirm it's location (arrow indicating what I believe to be the violet colored tach wire). Plus I took a couple pics of the hood switch and where the grey wire connects below. Once again, this wire was disconnected while the remote start was working. I had to reconnect it to attempt to reprogram it. Maybe this wire or the switch itself has something to do with my troubles???
locked in tach watch lockout -- posted image.
Any help is appreciated. Really not sure what to do to trouble shoot this anymore.
gin&tonic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the wiring diagram from the manual I've been referring to for guidance. I had to touch up the text for the tach wire info.
locked in tach watch lockout -- posted image.
gin&tonic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a little late to the party concerning the tach wire. I found this info and believe I have a better understanding of what I'm trying to do:
"Tachometer wire
Your remote starter requires a tachometer reference signal to monitor when the vehicle has started so it can disengage the starter. The vehicle's tachometer reference wire can usually be found on the engine distributor or coil pack or at the ECM (power control module) or PCM (power control module). References to these modules are often found in Wire Magic. First look for the vehicle's ignition coil or coil pack by following the spark plug wires (if possible) to where they junction together at a distributor. You can usually located a small wire harness at this location were a tachometer reference can be found. If the distributor appears to be supplied via a spark plug wire from another module this will be the coil and will also have a tachometer reference wire. A fuel injector is also a source of tachometer pulses, however this provides a signal for only 1 cylinder so make sure the car starter you are installing can be programmed for this setting. Tachometer reference can almost always be found at the vehicle's computer but this is not always easy to access, see the vehicle's data sheet for the recommended tachometer wire and location."
So, if the above is accurate then I now understand why the manual suggests moving the wire to a "better tach source". I'm such a noob.locked in tach watch lockout -- posted image.
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
umm that's wire you pointed out in taht pictures is at the master brake cylinder? or am i looking at it wrong?>
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
zerep i think your looking at it right. i just noticed the pictures and yes, it does look like its conected to the MBC. grab the tach at the injector or coils
gin&tonic 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Master cylinder? Damn.
Strike 1.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going back in....
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
where abouts are you in canada? i always find that people that need help, are never close to me ahah.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic