icon

rear defrost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tegguy 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  

Alright I have done my homework and think I figured this out but need some advice just to make sure. I don't have access to post a picture so I am going to post a link to my wiring diagram for my car

http://manualspace.com/acura-integra-1990-1993-wiring-diagram.htm (Pages 12,23,24)

I am trying to wire in the rear defrost to a remote start without bypassing the timer circuit.

This is what I have figured out:

when the rear defrost switch is pushed it sends a ground signal through the rear window defogger timer which sends a negative pulse to the rear window defogger relay which activates the relay and allows 12v to flow to the rear defogger. Does this sound accurate?

If I am correct on this all I should need to do is connect the remote start defogger output (-200 mA) to the Yel/Grn wire on the timer side of the switch. I shouldn't need a relay for this since the remote start activates the ignition 2 (12V switched for the relay) correct?

If I want to wire this to activate the rear defogger by button even if the car is not started I could wire it into one of the aux channels on the alarm and use a relay on the Blk/Yel wire to send 12V through when the aux channel is activated correct?

joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
A couple of points:
1. The timer most likely sends a latched negative to the relay, not a pulse.
2. I doubt the signal (negative) from the switch to the timer is only 200mA. If you wire the 200mA to the switch side of the timer you risk burning out the rs unit and 200mA may not be sufficient to activate the timer. (Depending on the amp output of the switch [which I assume is probably 7.5A], you could diode isolate the rs 200mA wire, but I'm no expert with using large amperage diodes and there's still no guarantee that 200mA will activate the timer).
3. I'd wire the 200mA rs defog wire to the negative side of the defog relay coil.
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
If I use the 200mA rs to the negative side of the defog relay won't that bypass the timer? I am trying to avoid doing this so it would be best to wire in a relay to boost the ground in my original plan and diode isolate the relay from the normal circuit correct?
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, but the rs (which one are you using?) should have a built in timer for the 200mA negative latched output. The DEI responder models use 10 minutes, at least the viper and clifford matrix do. Unfortunately, that time is not programmable, even with a bitwriter.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

You run very minimal risk of "burning the output of the defroster from the remote start output" as mentioned by Mr. Joebubba, if you connect it to the negative trigger from the switch, there are two possibilities, it works or it doesn't!

Is the susupect wire thin or thick gauge?

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have access to the car right now i'm deployed and am trying to plan my install for when I get back. I believe it's 7.5 Amp circuit. Sorry forgot the alarm model number it's a 5901
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
^^^No, I said it the other way around. The defrost switch output could burn out the rs circuit that supplies the 200mA if not diode isolated.
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, that's the Viper (DEI. Same as Clifford matrix 50.7x and the python 7??). You can hook the blue wire (#5) of the remote start aux output harness to the neg side of the relay coil.
The output from that wire can be set to supply a latched output 10 seconds after the car is started when the temp is 55 or below....( a note, the temp sensor is notoriously inaccurate on the DEI models)
Or it can be programmed to a 10-minute latched output which is activated by the remote (push f 4 times, then remote start button. this can be activated independently of the rs. This is how I have mine set up on my acura.
tegguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

So the remote start has a built in timer in itself is what your saying. So if I programmed it to be a 10 min latched output which is activated by the remote this means I can turn the defrost on without activating the remote start? Can I program it to do both? Turn on when the remote start is activated or independently of the rs.

Thank you for all the advice I am trying to get into the world of remote starts,alarms, car stereo's and am trying to learn as much as I can.

joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^to clarify, I ran a separate fused (40A)power wire from the battery and used a separate relay for my set up. I tapped the power output of the relay to the defog power cord. (The rear defog relay in the acura tl is in the under hood fuse/relay box. The neg input to the relay coil comes direct from the control block underneath the relay and I couldn't figure out how to access the negative side of the coil. In addition, it runs off a 30A circuit, so I was tentative about hooking up a 200mA wire from the rs to this circuit.) Either way, I had to transit the firewall.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic