icon

1983 avanti

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gafco 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  

I am installing a alarm/remote start system on a 1983 Avanti.So far i haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram.Does anyone know of a source for one?

thanks.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a good job for a fluke meter to me.  I can find no info for any Avanti vehicle.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
What beauties they were.Does this vehicle even have fuel injection? How does it start on a cold winter morning because if the first answer is no and the second one is with pumping the accelerator and some difficulty, then forget it.
Having said that get round those two problems, a trunk or door actuator on the linkage may be and it has to be very easy. Wait that can't be the ORIGINAL Avanti can it?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

If your car starts without having to pump your accellerator, and you need some guidance using the meter to find your wires.  You inspired this, maybe you can be the one it helps.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=118854&KW=i+am+an+idiot#580732

i am an idiot 
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
Howie, we have installed many remote starts on carbureted vehicles that would not start without pumping the throttle when the car is cold.  We explain that it will not work and they all say yes it will.  They say that they do not want it to start up to warm the car in the moring.  They just want it for the bling factor.  They all say when it is warmed up it starts fine without pumping the throttle.  If I had one the only reason to have one would be to warm/cool the car before getting into it.  I guess that I am just an idiot.
gafco 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Yes it has fuel injection.the old carb 305 has been replaced with a vette lt1 and a 6 spd.

i am an idiot 
Posted: December 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
What year car did the new powerplant come out of?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 3:32 AM / IP Logged  
Yes my car apart they ALL have it for the bling factor When I start installing on small car based service vans then I'll know it's a legitimate product.
I think I know where we are going with your last post. I remember the early injected engines on Fords and Peugeots where you STILL had to pump the throttle.
gafco 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
The engine is a 96.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 28, 2009 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  

I was hoping that Audiovox had useable info for tach.  They give the location as above battery.  Probably not going to help in your case.   You may want to look into an injector wire as a source.  If the motor has multiple injectors, there wil be a common colored wire on each injector.  Then there should be a second wire on each injector, use one of the non-common wires for tach.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic