icon

ignition 2 wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ford man 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2005 Mercury Sable. I want to install a Design Tech Remote Starter. Model # 20092. I have a question about the Ignition 2 wire on this model of remote starter. This wire shows a negative so I will have to add a relay, but my question is cant you just run another wire off of the ignition 1 wire on the remote starter to the second ignition wire on the vehicle. Also this is an older model starter does it need to be initialized before the first use. Thanks for your help.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

No you cannot! all wires, once from oem specs are part of a seperate circuit, they must remain that way!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
ford man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I will hook up a relay to the second ignition wire negative.  I need to hook up a relay to make this wire positive right? Do you know if this unit needs to be initialized. Thanks for the quick response.

tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
ignition 2 wire -- posted image. Convert a Negative Output to a Positive Output
If you have a switch or an alarm or keyless entry that has a negative output that you wish to use to switch a device that requires 12V+ such as a horn, dome light, parking lights, head lights, hatch release, etc., wire a relay as shown below to convert the negative output (trigger) to a positive output.
ignition 2 wire -- posted image.
Here's the same configuration showing a negative output from an alarm or remote keyless entry used to activate a trunk release solenoid that requires 12V+ to release the trunk.
ignition 2 wire -- posted image.

Most units require some sort of "initializing"... Is that the candy-bar , rectangle looking unit...Or more square...?

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ford man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  

The unit is more square. I was reading up on some of the newer ones and it says they need to be initialized. It does not have valet switch, and is starter and alarm combo.

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2009 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
The last design tech I did 10 years ago was initially programmed so you had to flip the switch each time you wanted to remote start, but it was programmable so you just needed to program it so it wouldn't do this. That is funny because I was thinking about how stupid that was to have that as a default option and pretty much useless as a feature altogether.
ford man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Yes I noticed some of the units have an on and off switch, but this one doesn't unless they consider the hood pin switch the on and off. I think I have all the information I need. Just need to hook it up now and see what problems arise......hopefully none. Thanks again for everyones help.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
Or just put a slightly better,more reliable unit in there...Those things were junk...! At least they use to be...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ford man 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
i have had good luck with junk so far. Ive put in alot of Bulldogs because people want cheap ones. I ve heard this Design Tech is junk too, but I ve heard that about Bulldogs also.No problems yet. Knock on wood.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic