icon

mazdaspeed protege system build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ice6 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
Not opposed to door enclosures at all! Just take your time on the build. I haven't done an aperiodic before, but if you're doing an enclosure on the door itself, it's going to make the door considerably heavier, and you'll have to seal it well. Any leakage not going through that ape vent is going to start exhibiting characteristics of a free air enclosure.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thinking of using three of these Scan-Speak Aperiodic Vents for each Anarchy and one for my SW6210 since there spec's make them candidates for use in an aperiodic enclosure and it would be much easier than making a ported door enclosure.
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2011 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
Well I have another reason why I hate winter....
winter + fiberglass = MORE MEKPmazdaspeed protege system build - Page 3 -- posted image. mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 3 -- posted image. mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 3 -- posted image.
mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 3 -- posted image.
Oh and don't use doodiey tape. And always use two layers...its not a waste.
I didn't care because I was going to put black carpeting over the sides of my trunk anyway. But if that had hardened it probably would not have come off.
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2011 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
I'm in the process of building an AP enclosure for my midrange as well. The Cookbook you linked is the best resource I could find regarding how to build them. Lots of articles hint at calculators for buuilding the enclosures and the properties of the membrane to use, but I can't find any. Tuning with a multimeter to see the impedance peak being lowered as membrane material is added seems to work just fine though.
If you'd like to see what I'm doing have a look here.
I'll be following your work here, eager to see what you build. Remember to seal off the rear of the membrane from the front of the woofer, just like the more common infinite baffle design : )
-J
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm finishing up a testing box for one of the anarchy's that is .5cuft including the port displacement and tuned to 40Hz with a 1X5" port 14"long just like WinISD said. I should be able to hook it up in the next few days and drive around with it. Then I'll order the scan speak AP vents and test drive them in that kind of enclosure.
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I emailed Acoustiblok a few days ago and they called me back with information and prices. They sell 4'X5' (20sqft) for $65 each plus shipping and the next size up from that was a 4.5'X30' roll (135sqft) for $389 plus shipping. My exhaust is REALLY LOUD so I plan on getting the roll and applying it to my floor, doors, roof, and my trunk including the floor sides and lid. The guy I talked to said he used dynamat in his cars before he started working for the company. Now he just uses Acoustiblok. He said on his current car he reduced the noise level by 10dB.
I'll have a large up date soon with progress on both the sub box and amp rack.
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
We may have spoken to the same sales guy haha. He has some great advice. I found that when installing the material in my car- even though it's only 1/8" thick- reinstalling the interior was more difficult because many of the panels fit very snug already. Sometimes I would have to trim the acoustiblok more than I wanted, or use an extra screw or two to hold the car's interior to the sheet metal. It was a challenge, but worth it in my eyes.
Good luck with that, and have fun.
The other idea would be to get an exhaust that's not so loud, might be cheaper and easier.
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
teenkertoy wrote:
The other idea would be to get an exhaust that's not so loud, might be cheaper and easier.
Nahhh
z03mz03m 
Posted: February 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
Big update!!!
Ill do it in stages:
Sub Box
Amp Rack
Doors
Anarchy's
It will be a mixture of progress, plans and how to.mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 3 -- posted image.
z03mz03m 
Posted: February 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Stage 1 Sub Box:
I succeeded in fiberglassing the contour of my trunk on a slightly warmer day and with the assistance of my 1000 degree heat gun to kick of the reaction.
After trimming away some excess glass I temporarily screwed it to the base so that I could transfer the curves of the baffle onto the fiberglass using a square.
A few gig-saw blades later...
I started making a brace that would also serve to shape the glass to avoid my trunk hinge which I tried to avoid in the first place but couldn't with my baffle the way it is.
Then I got the idea to continue the curve over the top of the box for aesthetics.
I cut those braces out of MDF and they split because I didn't drill the holes deep enough. So I will re-make them out of birch plywood.
Made a little end cap.
That's as far as I am right now. I think I will re-make the trim ring (the yellow part below) out of MDF to get a better finish on it because right now its particle board and I am not sure about how to get a glossy smooth finish on it. Lacquer?
Here is what the final product will look like.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic