the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

mazdaspeed protege system build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Getting new stuff tomorrow!mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
-Eclipse XA 1200
-Eclipse SW 6210
-Kicker 2 CH RCA for sub amp
-Ballistic Sound deadening kit (I figured I'd try it out since they list the same materials as Dynamat but their product is thicker and a little cheaper. I'll let you now how it goes.)
So now I'm designing a new sub box. It's gunna be ported and tuned down to about 18~19 Hz with 4" pipe and about~5700in3
Quick Sketch:
mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
I'm working on a detail drawing of it and it's going to be a little more complicated than the sketch getting it to incorporate my amps like I want and to fit it in my trunk snugly.
Does anyone have a recommendation of a specific brand/Kind of spray sealant or other way to seal the inside of the box in addition to glue and caulk? Maybe truck bed liner or undercoat?
Now that I'll have a dedicated sub amp that will free up 2ch on the XA 4200 for Bi-Amping! I am hoping this will increase imaging and SQ. I'm also interested to see what my head unit does with it when I do the Auto TA/EQ with tweets and woofers on designated channels.
probably wont get to anything until next weekend because of frigging rain though mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
z03mz03m 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2010 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
OK I got the stuff the other day and need help deciding on box design because the specs that came with the sub are different than the specs posted online and there are more of them.
Winisd says one thing and Eclipse says another about volume/port/tuning.
Eclipse SW6210 Specs (will be powered by XA1200(500w rms @ 2ohms))
Fs 20Hz
Qms 6
Qes .5
Qts .45
Vas 62L
CMS .2mm/N
MMS 300g
RMS 8.2kg/s
Xmax(one way) 15mm
Dia 24.7cm
Sd 480cm2
BL 12.5Tm
No .125%
1-watt SPL 90dB
Eclipse manual recomendation:
Volume 2 cu ft
Tuning Freq 22Hz
Port length 4" pipe 26"long
WinISD:
Volume ~3.3 cu ft
Tuning Freq 19Hz
Port length 4" pipe 26.5"long
Would someone help me figure out:
1. What specs of the ones listed above should I use in WinISD to get good results because I know it can mess up results if you put to many in or if they conflict or something.
2. What type of ported box should I select for best SQ in Win ISD? (QB3, BB4/SBB4, C4/SC4)(I figure best SQ would be a sealed box but i'm not willing to sacrifice the output) Any recommendations for other types of boxes are welcome I am extremely confident in my design/construction skills....TL?
z03mz03m 
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking for ho alternaters for my car and the best I've come up with so far is at power*astards.com *b there fitzall-220 110 amps at idle and full output (220amps) at 1200 rpm. I've read a post by oldspark referencing them and was just wondering where else I should look? Also I emailed mike a pb and asked him if the fitzall-220 would work on my car because my stock alternater also has a plug with two ~18awg wires in it that I don't know what they do. Does anyone know what those wires are for?
Ps. I have upgraded my big three with 0 guage and have an optima yellow top battery.
My car is a Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5 100,000miles stock 80amp alt.
z03mz03m 
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Working on what will hopefully be my final box design. Its been a challenge to fit three amps and a ported box on the smaller half of my trunk and make it look good. Oh I guess I haven't posted that I bought a third amp a ppi A500/2 that will power my tweeters freeing up two channels on my xa4200 to power my .... drum roll....exodus ex-anarchy's! I just bought them on sale on black friday and they will be here monday. I've got two more weeks of school left before I will have time to begin construction but then I have a month of relatively free time so more pictures and posts to come.
z03mz03m 
Posted: December 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
Since I gave up on the ported box I will continue all of my work on this post.
I plan on documenting all of my work on My Picasa site. There are pics of the first few pieces and how they look in my trunk already posted.
Here is my new design for a sealed box that will go on the left side of the trunk.
Here is the complimentary amp rack that will go on the right side of the trunk.
I will mount my PPI A500/2 and the 2 Farad cap (just because I have it) on the back.
I have also started on making fiberglass tweeter pods.
I was going to order some resin and mat from uscomposites.com but they won't be back in operation until Jan 3rd and I was hoping I could get the stuff in the mail sooner than that. Might look for some local stores that would have some.
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 03, 2011 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Just put resin on the tweeter pods and uploaded a bunch of pics
click on the "tweeter pods" link above to see them
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
ice6 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  

You should check out google Sketch. it's a free CAD program and it actually helps with the logistics side of it.  Your plans so far are aggressive to say the least. I wouldn't tune any port below 30 Hz. you aren't going to get any real output from it at that low of a range. If you're going to port, go with something around 33-44 Hz. If you look at common respone curves for subs, you'll see that below 40 Hz things are on a climb as far as output goes. So tuning to 35 Hz, you'll see real gains in the 40-50 hertz range that will give the SPL you're looking for. So if you wind up tuning to 18 Hz, your SPl is going to "blow up on the launch pad" if you catch my drift. Doing a sealed may just be easier.

Your tweet pods aren't looking too bad, they just need a few skim coats of body filler (rage gold or dolphin glaze putty is my fave) to clean things up a bit. For good staging though, it would have been best to use dowel rogs or lasers to point the tweets at your ear since they have such a narrow output width.  

z03mz03m 
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
I have Google sketch but I think I'll stick with the $3000 AutoDesk software that I have for free because I'm an engineering student. mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
stevdart wrote:
 Everything points to a simple sealed box for best results.
z03mz03m wrote:
Since I gave up on the ported box I will continue all of my work on this post.
Yea the tweeter pods had a few problems because I used such thick fleece I sanded through the resin and had to fix the problems with a few more coats of resin from the inside (Lesson Learned). They will look great after a coat or two of rage gold which I have to drive an hour to go get tomorrow.Probably buy some thinner polyester and some fleece as well. And I did aim them with a slight bias towards the driver seat with a few improvised shelving items lol.
I am expecting my uscomposites.com order to arrive on Monday which is just in time for the first day of the semester!!!mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
I have cut out the ring to double up the sub baffle and also the rings for the 355cs's and the Anarchy's which will all find there homes in my front doors.
I'll probably drill the holes through my trunk to mount the sub box and amp rack bases tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get started on the amp rack.
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I unfortunately couldn't go get body filler the other day because of snow. mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
I guess It will have to wait until later this week when I'm board at the first week of school lol.
The good new is that I decided how I am going to finish the pieces that I'm fabricating. Black truck bed liner for the main areas of the boxes, tweeters and door panels and Gloss yellow with clear coat for all the trim. I like the contrast.
I'm going to do something I've never seen done before, I'm going to make ported enclosures for the Anarchy's built into the door panels. Also The 355cs's will have small sealed enclosures with Dynamat Dynaxorb in both enclosures. The ported enclosures will be about 1/2 ft3 and tuned to 40 Hz. mazdaspeed protege system build - Page 2 -- posted image.
Any nay sayer's about the door enclosures???
z03mz03m 
Posted: January 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Reading up on Aperiodic enclosures...
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic