the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Smartstart Activation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
scorp702 wrote:
Were all trying to save as much as we can these days so I don't see what the big deal is. I called a few Viper dealers here in Vegas and their quoting me some outrageous $$$ amount just to register a serial # online which should only take 5-10 minutes tops. That's just crazy. Directed needs to change that policy and let consumers register their "own" units.
There are so many ways to look at this. I completely understand and appreciate where you are coming from, hell the reason I first started installing (a LONG time ago) is because I don't like paying to do something I feel I am capable of (not to mention the fact that I'm cheap Smartstart Activation - Page 3 -- posted image.). I also completely understand your opinion, as the consumer, on why you think DEI should allow you to activate 'your' device.
However, to understand where the 'outrageous $$$' is coming from you need to consider a few points. First, the authorized dealer has to meet requirements set by the manufacturer to qualify as an 'authorized dealer', having a physical store front is one of the first things, not to mention the requirements put on them to buy a certain amount of product each year to continue to be an authorized dealer. Now put yourself into the authorized dealer's shoes for a minute...you just got a call from your rep and had to buy $5,000.00 worth of product this quarter to qualify to keep your status as 'authorized'. But the last three quarters were so bad you have trouble paying the utilities. Then you have someone call you that bought a product that you sell from somewhere else asking them to perform a service that they can not get from a non-authorized vendor.
Now, I am not in any way saying I believe in this business philosophy, but I can see where they are coming from. I completely agree with the thought of allowing the consumer the option of installing their own stuff. That is why I spend so much time on this site.
The SmartStart unit is unique in the fact that the core purpose of the product can not be used unless it's activated. And the manufacturer is trying to protect it's and it's dealer's bottom line. No matter where the end user purchases the unit from, it started in the inventory of an authorized dealer. So the person selling the end user the unit should be able to provide that service. If they don't provide it, find another vendor that will. It's great to get a product that is supposed to sell for $300.00 for $100.00 .... but ONLY if you can use it, it's no bargain sitting in a car unusable. Caveat emptor.   
This really was just meant to be a 'watch out for shady vendors' post.
Smartstart Activation - Page 3 -- posted image.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
mkopp7 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I agree, I made a mistake. I bought mine off of eBay assuming that I've done my research and had my bases covered. I've been out of world of installing for almost twenty years. My last MECP certification was in 1993. I thought it would be cool to have an old car with a stealth alarm without the typical remote and being able to two way communicate with my smart phone. I'll try to find a local authorized dealer and see what I can do...
scorp702 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Twelvoltz,
All good points. Believe me I'm all for helping a business stay in business. Especially here in Vegas where the economy really took it hard and is still struggling to recover. The gripe I had was these guys were telling me $75 to activate my module. That's an abuse. I would of had no problem if these guys would of said $20 - $25 but $75! lol
Like yourself I like at least trying to do what I can myself. Im glad I found this site which has helped me quite a bit. Research is key.
scorp702 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well I figured it out Smartstart Activation - Page 3 -- posted image. Smartstart Activation - Page 3 -- posted image. Smartstart Activation - Page 3 -- posted image. . Took me 5 minutes just as I thought. If you need help with activation shoot me a pm.
groundzero2010 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 7:31 AM / IP Logged  
Sure, watch out for shady vendors... I don't see a problem helping out a fellow installer with a little tech support or even a simple activation. Like someone said earlier, 20-25 dollars for a activation shouldn't be a bad price to pay. If you're a dealer or have access to help another installer out with a smartstart activation, why not help out even if it makes you feel better charging a small fee... Unfortunately I'm not a dealer any longer and can't offer this help to anyone but I sure hope if/when I end up installing my own smartstart system I could look for the help here.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
groundzero2010 wrote:
20-25 dollars for a activation shouldn't be a bad price to pay
But if you buy it from a good vendor to begin with there shouldn't be any additional fees, is all I'm saying.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
groundzero2010 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
A true vendor wouldn't/shouldn't sell over the counter, they are suppose to install it. Personally, Myself being an ex-installer turned weekend installer don't care to pay the high install prices nor would I want anyone besides myself installing in my vehicle. I've worked around several shotty installers and know the kinds of people out there. Not pointing fingers, but Best Buy is the only dealer in my area and I wouldn't trust them to do a stereo swap.
scorp702 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Just a heads up, I don't mind helping you out with the activation but please do not PM me asking on how I did it. Research is key. Google is a good friend is all I can say. That's how I figured it out.
I don't want to undermine any DEI dealers on the forum and just post up the website and login info. Were all here to help each other out. If your local dealer wants more than $20-$25 for an activation just let me know. lol
saturn guy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
I instaled a smartstart and would realy like an activation, please help if you can
xbimmer 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2011 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Hi ,did anyone got activated ?
i need help activating also ! thxz a lot
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic