mfg enclousure recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
budumbudum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I have a Phoenix gold rsd10. This is in a tight space (350z roadster) in a sealed mdf box. The manufacture calls out a .5cu ft. SQ and .3 cu ft SPL.

I had a sub box made before by a professional and when I checked the size today it was about 1.0 Cu ft. This is the max size you could possibly fit in the space and double the mfg recomendation. I did notice at higher power levels and music with very deep bass it sounded like it was distorting or breaking up.  For most Rock and Roll it was fine.  

I bought a second sub and will be making two of my own boxes including repositioning the direction the subs so they fire into the cabin vs hidin behind all the plastic and metal covering. These are each powered by Phoenix gold 300.1 mono amps.

Should I build the box as close as possible to the Mfg .5 cuft SQ to get the best quality all round sound? The previous builder's size was 2x the mfg recommendation. Is this bad? How far can you go safely above the mfg recommendation and still have good sound quality in a sealed box?

I prefer quality over loudness but want both :).

Thanks

incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I only did a quick search did you car have a stock bose sub-woofer?? and you had that one removed?? also if you stick with the manufacture's spec's or anywhere in between the two that you said (.5 or .3)it will sound awesome. I prefer bigger box's they seem to hit a bit lower, but could be a placebo of of some sort, I would say just build them as small as possible just because of the lack of space you would have, (if I found the right car) it may give you more space to place amp's and such. the one site i found the guy had put the amp into the stock sub box because there was no other place to put it. which will obviously lead to heat issues if you pound the sub's long and hard.
budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

Thanks for the response. Yes the Z had a bose speaker stock and no enclousre at all.

see attached pics (if this works) on the parts i took out today. The amps are in the trunk on a nice clean amp rack.

[IMG]https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/Smasher350z/002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/Smasher350z/003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/Smasher350z/004-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/Smasher350z/005.jpg[/IMG]

budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

Well it looks like I cant add pics, and I dont have any small files so try this link if you want to see the pics.

http://guelphracing.com/cgi/forum/GRforums/upload/showthread.php?p=10723#post10723

incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:01 AM / IP Logged  
fantastic!! glad to see someone cutting and slashing on such a nice car!! the stock sub is free-air, which usually seem to be not quite that good, otherwise everyone would do it. 2 10's are better than 1 for sure, i'm partial to 12's or bigger, just got 15" alpines in the trunk of a civic :)
keep up the good work it look's like you have it under control!! that box look's huge too! maybe even bigger than 1 foot cubed?? also if that box fits keep it. my first system was a pawn shop slap together in a big ol 1980 malibu. 2 different 12's 2 different amps powering each. box's were different sizes. sounded better than a couple buddy's system's with huge money in them. maybe just build the second box for the passenger side and your off to the races!!
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
you definatly don't need box sub box's to be exactly the same size... not sure what it would do to the system, but i'm sure even the most trained ear wouldn't be able to tell one box is .5 of a foot bigger!! :)
budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again incognyto

So today I started out to build the front plate of the sub box. It started out fine and then ended up later with about 3 hours of thinking what to do next.

The front plate will act as a flange and the box itself will be smaller behind it so it can go through the smaller rectangular openings. Well as it turns out it is not that simple. The hole height after you take into account the 5/8 mdf to build the box is only 6 7/8 across and the speaker hole needs to be 9 1/4 for these 10's. Of course the speaker tapers down but not enough to fit into the 6 7/8 opening until about 2 1/4 inches above the top plate.

This is hard to describe in words but i hope you can get my drift. The only way i see around this without cutting into metal is to build 3 each 3/4 mdf rings to go on top of the front plate so the speaker has enough room to fit. I am concerend on how to make this look good when complete because the speaker will be sitting 2 1/4 inches higher than the main plate. It is sounding like fibre glass, resin and fleece is a definet. 

Do you think the sound will be hampered with the space the speaker fits into tapering down to ~ 6 7/8 on the height side (width is fine) before it opens up to the full enclousure.  I might just have to try it but was wondering if anyone else ran into this type of thing.

Thanks

budumbudum 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and I am keeping the original box just in case this does not work out well. I could make a second similar box for the second speaker but my whole intention was to have these speakers exposed look good and fire into the back of my mesh seats. Yes the ZRoadster  has Mesh seats in the middle to help keep you cool on a hot day with the top down so its like a back massage LOL.
incognyto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
man that sounds fun to ride around in!! i know what you mean though the speaker will have to sit quite a way's outside the hole, with spacers so it won't look good. possible that that entire glove box can be taken out without it lookin like poo?? also I've searched a bit but I think that most of the 350z's I'm finding are the coupes not the convertables, where guy's are putting 3 12's firing back or upwards into the glass. there has to be someone out there such as yourself that isn't impressed with the stock 10 and want's 2!! thorough searching may result in something you haven't found :)
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

I like to stay within 10% of the manufactures recomendations.  For a 0.5cuft box that means 0.05cuft! 

Of course you also have to factor in displacement of the sub so that will add a small amount to the 0.5cuft.

The right sub in the right box will sound much better then the right sub in the wrong box so I would expect noticably better results with the correct enclosure.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic