icon

opinions on sub options?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
armymp90099 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ok My buddy asked me to design his system and im down to the subs and I cant decide which to order for him. Its going to be a 15 In a 3.8FT^3 NET box (Tuned depending on driver) given about 2600W RMS Daily. He wants a loud car everyday and my options are as follows in order from most likely to last resort (based on price mainly)
15 Fi BTL
15 AQ HDC3 15
15 DC LVL5
Any opinions and why? Thanks guys I know I can always count on you.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
First, please lump all of your questions regarding a single install into one thread... I see you have two going.
I think our opinions are similar. I'd choose the Fi over anything else on the list, too.
Actual SQ (not a tremendous amount, I've heard WAY better sounding drivers) and good power handling.
In reference to your OTHER question... Why can't you get a flared port with the necessary area? They DO make them, ya know... I've seen flared ports up to 6" in diameter. Just because it's flared, it DOESN'T mean it has to be too small... That's like saying a Ferrari HAS to come with a Civic motor in it. (No, it really isn't, is it? Not gonna change it though! LOL)
I like a flared port, personally. Far less chance of turbulence (thus, noise...) on the inside end of the port. Second choice is a straight port. I have heard proper slots, and they DO sound good, but not good enough (to me) to warrrant all the extra construction techniques required.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
ok the reason i have 2 posts is because the other post is just a general question not an install specific one. Thank you for your input. I was mostly leaning toward the fi because ive heard great things and the price isnt terrible. What he has right now is 2 pioneer premier 12`s (the champion pro 1000 rms ones). he wants an upgrade and those are the drivers i thought would be a significant upgrade. any ideas on other drivers in the same price range that would be a good upgrade? ($400ishF he isnt very keen on sq. and as far as the port goes ive seen 8and 10 in flared ports but the box would make it very difficult for one. it is 34 W x 11 H x 24 D. sub up and port back....any other suggestions? lol
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
The Fi would be my choice of those selected. A DC level 5 is a strictly SPL comp sub. It is not built for sound quality at all and not even for music or daily use. A Lvl 4 XL is their biggest baddest daily sub.
opinions on sub options? -- posted image.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  
A friend runs Pioneer 12's of the like in a 4.0ft3 custom enclosure and the concept upgrade has never crossed my mind until this post... The new trendy subs are more appealing then the same ol 2-12" giddy-up, no needs to argue... but maybe a little more attention to the 12's as like the 15" requires/receives, and results should satisfy, no?
This is what I do for FUN!
armymp90099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys these are the box designs I came up with. They are both the same volume and tuning freq (35HZ). Which would you recommend? One obviously has a slot port and the other is set up for 2 4" Aeroports.opinions on sub options? -- posted image.
opinions on sub options? -- posted image.
-ETS-
Escape The Scilence
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
For the slot port design, if you are going to put a 45 degree in the port you have to do it to both sides. So you would need to adjust your design slightly.
The aeroport design will be a little easier to build but more expensive as you have to buy the aeroports. The slot port may be slightly harder but all you need is some extra wood to make it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic