icon

Immobilizer Bypass for Starter/Alarm, 2007 Subaru STI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
big3etr 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question about them. How are they connected and powered? Reason I ask: I have a chip in my key, but now that I have an aftermarket starter/alarm, I can use a key that has no chip installed! I like it, but I don't. I thought the bypass was only powered or active when the starter is activated, then shuts off. But as I stated, I had a cheapo key without a chip cut, and it works fine, even with the starter or without using it. I know the install shop unplugged my factory keyless entry module, but I would assume the immobilizer is controlled elsewhere. I have an STI, but the old 2004 STi's had no immobilizer and came with this badass blue/silver titanium key that I plan to use since it will work. My bro-in-law and I were trying to figure this out...
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
It's possible they wired it incorrectly. You should not be able to start the car with a normal key unless there is no immobilizer.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

A couple of questions...     I gather its a Subaru STI, but what year?   Did the shop that installed the remote starter take and use a working key from you or did they have an extra key made and programmed to your car? 

A Subaru needs a working key for the R/S bypass.  The goal is to temporarily bypass the immobilizer system during remote start and only remote start.  The extra key is hidden under the dash and sometimes the blade part of the key is removed ( or never cut ) to prevent theft.  The fact that your car can be started with a plain metal key means you have lost the anti-theft capability of the immobilizer system!!  

Soldering is fun!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

subarus require a dealer scan too to program the bypass. i highly doubt the shop would bring it to a suby dealer and have them do it.

a few questions:

did you give them 2 keys, and when you picked up the car, only one key was returned?

if so, they used a key in box style bypass, where one key is buried under the dash. if done correctly, you can only start the car with a chipped key. if you can with a regular key cut from a local hardware store, most likely they bypassed the system completely OR the transponder bypass is constantly on. as kregs mentioned, the bypass itself should only be activated during remote start.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
They probably wired up the bypass module wrong, I,m not sure what alarm you have but on Viper alarms you would connect the Blue(-)RS status output to trigger the bypass module to override the immobilizer temporarily.
**advanced mecp certified
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure the car had a transponder to begin with?
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

i know the canadian models have the transponder, but maybe yours doesnt.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
The US Subaru STi started having a transponder in 2005. The 2004 was the first model year in the US. It did not have a transponder.
I vote for the bypass was hooked up wrong.
Unplugging the factory keyless entry is pointless. If they unplugged the factory alarm (optional feature), that makes sense.
Big3etr, help us out here. What model year do you have? What alarm/starter? Did they put in a unit designed for a manual tranny, or did they put in an automatic unit and hook up to the neutral wire at the ECU so it doesn't start in gear? I've probably done about 15 or so WRX's and STi's from 2002-2007 so I know the car well. I owned a 2002 WRX, and 2005 STi.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

I think Subaru started using transponders in them in 2005. 

Not sure on Subaru's but on a Dodge with a key-in-box transponder by-pass, if you put a working transponder key in the cylinder, but don't turn it,  and then start the car with the R/S it won't start and it will give you a security light.  It doesn't like seeing two valid keys at the same time...

Soldering is fun!
big3etr 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, I had to tend to my 18 month old daughter and put her to bed.
Car: 2007 Subaru STI
starter/alarm: Compustar FT6000AS (CM6000 brain) (2W9000SS remote)
I gave the install shop 2 keys, one of which I use to drive the car, the other for the bypass (grey Valet key).
My car has an immobilizer chip in the key, and yes only the 2004 STi did not, from 2005 UP all Impreza's have the immobilizer.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic