icon

cone area vs box design

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metaljoey 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
 i have 2 15'' subs on a bxi 2610d @ 1 ohm.the box is sealed with 2.1-2.2^3 per sub. the subs are audiobahn 1506t's(thats why I'm getting rid of them) I'm looking to get a 15'' fi btl. the box will be around 3.5-4.0^3 tuned around 32-33Hz. will giving up cone area matter if the box design is superior? (the btl will be ran @ 1ohm.)
Before you see the light, you must die!!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
1: Define "superior". Are both current and planned volumes optimal for the drivers? What's your goal? SPL is my guess.
2: The impedance of the drivers has nothing to do with anything, here. It's superfluous information for now.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
so you are swapping 2 15's for 1 15 and you want to know will it be louder with a better box, ported i assume because you mentioned a tuning frequency. well the answer is, yes and no. it CAN be louder with just 1 sub ported but the box design needs to be right. your tuning frequency is a little low so if all you want is for it to be loud then i would tune higher, maybe close to 40-45hz. and i cant tell you if it will be louder because noone knows what it sounds like now. cone area is not everything, ive seen people hit 150's on a meter with a single 10 inch sub, but at the same time, that setup is probably unlistenable for normal music. are you going for just straight loudness or would you like your setup to sound good with music too?
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

i would like a more efficient box design. and would not want to lose any spl or db's,going from two 15'' drivers down to one. it will be for music. the car is a daily driver.im going off fi audio's site for the tune of the box. what would be a good tune hz for my app? i could do two 15 bl's with 3^3ft each maybe. i have not checked to see what kind of room my 04' sebring has out back.  

metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
anyone?
kbirtch 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

you are switching from 2x 15" audiobahn

to

1x 15" fi btl

if you do not swap ya amp, you *will* lose spl, its unavoidable.

i would say you will gain SQ, but since your current config is in sealed box and your swapping for a giant ported box, you will likely also LOSE SQ. from my experience, best SQ comes from sealed boxes, best SPL from multiple drivers / ported boxes.

whats wrong with the audiobanhs? are they broken?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
kbirtch wrote:
if you do not swap ya amp, you *will* lose spl, its unavoidable.
Not necessarily. If the Fi is a more sensitive woofer, then you could even be louder!
I haven't looked the specs up on either of the drivers, so I can't tell for sure, but generalizations like the one you just made, without supporting information, can make you seem really uninformed.
kbirtch wrote:
i would say you will gain SQ, but since your current config is in sealed box and your swapping for a giant ported box, you will likely also LOSE SQ. from my experience, best SQ comes from sealed boxes, best SPL from multiple drivers / ported boxes.
Another generalization, that is again completely false. Most HIGH-DOLLAR and truly audiophile speaker systems in the world are large vented enclosures.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
from what i could find on the audiobahn aw1506t the < size=2 face="">Sensitivity is 96.4. but audiobahn is known for being a fat p.o.s. so i don't quite believe that! the fi btl is 90.3.
kbirtch 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged  
yep, i'm cooked, sorry for the misinformation
hope your swap works well
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
what about 2 12'' fi bl's or btls? insted of one 15'' btl?? i soon will be geting a audioque aq2200 and giving the bxi2600 to my wife for her 2 12'' trpe r's. so new amp and new sub(s)!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic