single led blinker/parking without relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
Why would it be for a 5 leg relay?   
If you have a point or a question, please rephrase.
If you are a spammer, please include a link.
assassin10000 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 4:53 AM / IP Logged  

^ ditto.

Unfortunately my efforts to build this didn't end up working. Even though it was sound in theory, the LED devices I was trying to power probably took more juice than could be provided by the transistors.

Andrew

oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
FYI - I did state 'I wonder why I didn't think of this for my flasher/reverse lights'.
Later I realised the catch - the flasher-can has to see the full load, hence too the JFET(s).
I probably did think of using JFETs, but then discarded the idea.
I still reckon there must be a way - using a DPDT relay (per side) feels like overkill, and I'd rather intercept normal indicator wiring (ie, can before the left-right switch) as well as only switching for the rarer reverse occurrence...
Maybe next month. (I finally fitted my (head)light reminder buzzer today. That's taken 10 years - for my current vehicle....)
Thanks for the update.
I'll re-awaken this thread else PM when I get any brilliant thoughts...
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
G S and D are the designation for the legs of a Mosfet transistor.  G in the gate, S is the source, and D is the drain.  Basically the Gate is what controls the transistor.  Turn the Gate on and current flows from the source to the drain.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Assassin and I know that - we are talking about J-FETs.
For some reason yakuzahi reiterated what we know... I suspect innocently (not spammingly etc).
The benefit is Assassin's update, and that I always wanted to explain why I missed the "obvious" use of a JFET for my application.
So now we are up to date.
And still seeking an elegant solution.
assassin10000 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

I looked at dpdt relays too, but couldn't see a way for it to work the way I wanted it to. Possibly with a capacitor, but for the time being I'm leaving it alone. Currently my cornering lights that are supposed to come on solid with turn signals are wired in to come on with my parking lights.

I am well aware with 2 relays and signal taken before the flasher I could make it work. Just don't feel like running the extra wires/relays at the moment. I've got enough wiring going on (standalone ecu & modern engine with dual variable valve timing) for my motor swap to worry about. I may revisit doing this at a later date.

Andrew

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic