icon

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, Viper 5902

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dereileak 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
I am having a viper 5902 installed by best buy, I work there so I get a 20% discount on labor. I was wondering if my Dodge Grand Caravan 99 needs a bypass module and if the wiring diagram is different the the standard Caravan. Also is there a way to wire the defrost up to the unit so I can activate rear defrost with the remote and regular defrost. Let me know if there is anything else that will help, thanks
Viper 5902 - Ordered
Kicker Dual CVX 15's - Installed
Kicker ZX 1500.1 Amp - Installed
monty_77 
Copper - Posts: 491
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
no the wiring is not different from the two.
does not need a bypass.
and the viper should have a dedicated output for defroster
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

wiring is identical, no bypass required.

use the 2nd defrost outout from the unit, and have it pulse 10 seconds after start.

how come you dont pick up the unit and just DIY? save yourself a few bucks, and we're all willing to help.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
how difficult is it to do myself? does it require a bitwriter to setup? I do not want to screw up my car, but yet I am willing to learn how to do stuff on my car too. I got the alarm for 200, I work for Best buy, and I can order viper stuff discounted like crazy!! Is it simply tapping into the wires listed on the diagram, like cutting a space in the coating and then hooking the wire to it? if thats the case I may do it myself, the only thing is the agreement for getting it so cheap says you have to have it professionally installed, so I am not sure
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
also, is there a way to have leds hooked up to the battery, and have the ability to activate using the aux remote button on the unit, cause that would be kick ass, lol
Viper 5902 - Ordered
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

if you know how to use a DMM and have some patience, you can do it.

and yes, using the aux channel to trigger a relay for the leds is just an addon. if you get all parts first, its just a matter of a step at a time.

you dont need a bitwriter. most functions can be changed via remotes in programming.

Ted
Compustar Expert
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
I have a question, why would a person use a DMM if you have the battery unpugged, wouldn't there be no voltage to read, or does it read the resistance of the wire. I noticed in the wiring diagram for my dodge 99 grand caravan it has 1 wire for the door locks and requires a resistor for the other wires connected to it, and some kind of relay, where can I pick up relays, and how would I set up the resistors? I may just have them do it cause I would hate to ruin my electrical system and not have a car, but I would love to learn how to do this on my own and have the ability to maybe do other systems for people. How much are multimeters and where can I get one, I mean if that is getting close to the cost of installation I might as well have a best buy do it for me. its 199.99 plus a 20% discount, so 159.99, but then they always add on crap to make it go up, they usually say, it took 3 hours longer so we have to charge you an extra 19.99 for ever 30 minutes.
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
also on top of that, how hard is it to wire a window module in, the guy at Best Buy said it would take him like an extra 2 hours to add that in, 90 bucks worth of install, and how do you tap into the aux ports on viper, also is there a way to adjust sensitivy of the shock sensor through the remote on the 5902?
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
you can get the relays at best buy they have them in the install bay.  That van is not difficult to do r/s on.  The worst part was getting the door lock wire.  If you look at the bottom of the bcm it's the plug on the left.  I unbolted the unit so i could lift it up a little bit and disconnect that plug to get at the wire.  If I recall correctly there are 2 wires that are close to the same color as what is listed as the door lock wire.  Make sure you test it and verify.   5902 should come with a 451m which is dei's doorlock relay(2 in 1).  You will have to solder in a resistor of the correct value for lock and unlock. 
tedmond 
Posted: February 01, 2010 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

well they say to disconnect the batt, but you need it to verify the wires.

a dmm will cost you 25bucks, a relay and harness 5-10bucks, and multipack of resistors 5bucks.

wiring in a window module is easy if you know the oclour of the wires and what you are testing for. you will need to open up the driver side door panel to gain access to all the motor wires.

Ted
Compustar Expert
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic