icon

2 subs blown in a month

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
quintonre 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
I have an alpine head unit, sony xplod 2/1 1000 watt amp, and a kenwood excelon 12" sub.
I previously owned a sony 10" slim (just installed the system) and was using one side of the amp not bridging my connection.
When I went to best buy looking for more power he bridged it for me and said it was supposed to be that way for 1 sub.
My fire new sub was a rockford p1 12" and it blew within 15 minutes of play at 3/4 volume.
my kenwood excelon also blew.
I replaced it, but 2 subs makes me think there is a problem.
anyone have any ideas?
blackcivichatch 
Copper - Posts: 229
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
That Sony Explode amp is prolly clippin like crazy.
Were the gains set properly?
UNLABELED Custom Car Club President
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Initial thought......  just too much power for that caliber of sub......  not sure exactly what part number you have for you sub amp, but here are some specs for their 1200 what amp.

PS...  it is always a good idea to include exact part numbers and details about you ride so we can help you out.

SONY XPLOD XM-ZR1852 im guessing this is the amp.  Even thought it has numbers like 1000w....

Specs on the amp in real world state more in the range of 400 watts RMS.  Hopefully you know what RMS is.  This is a brideged mode power output.

Rockford Fosgate P1S412 12" Punch P1 4-Ohm SVC Subwoofer features 300 Watts Max Power

I was running a JL audio 10w3V2....  it had a RMS power rating of about 300 to 500 watts RMS.  I run an ALPINE MRP-M1000 that puts out aprox 600 watts RMS going to a 4 ohm load.  I just blew my JL about two weeks ago.

I then went and got an alpine type R 12" because of this reason.  My amp could put out more than what my sub could take.  The alpine type R can take up to 500 watts rms with peaks of 1500 w.  I now run my amp at a 2 ohm load which can throretically provide the full 1000 watts RMS to my sub.....  so I still have to be carefull.  But the type R has a much more robust voice coil than the JL 10w3 I was running.

Next key point to consider  or check is the gain setting on your amp......  I pretty much run mine at nominal, or half way on the dials......  that should be pretty safe and it is not pushing the amps to a crazy level of performance.  There are several ways to set gains just perfect and this forum has them write ups on that very lesson.

Enclosure for your sub.......  this matters.  I found out that my sub enclosure I built for my JL was just not correct.  This can allow a sub to basically flop around or have very little control when being pushed by heavy wattage.  I have since gone to the perfect sealed enclosure for my type R and I dont expect more issues when really giving it a work out.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~85479~PN~1

Hope this info helps......  if you want a great sub for the price, I would recommend the type R.  It will take what your amp can put out and then some.  Great performing subs for the price vs JL pricing.

Licto

thunder-bunny 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

yes same here i think the amp is clipping like crazy

i have a rockford 15 inch sub 600 w rms on a groundzero hydrogen 1480 w rms

and no probs even with long times at full power

the same sub before  the GZ was on a hifonics samson 300 w rms also no probs

so or your amp is broken and feeds dc to your subs or the amp is clipping like crazy

and caliber sorry to say but just looking angry at them and they blow up!

rockford well that is strange they can handle some abuse.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
Consider this. If you have a heavy foot and do the Pilsbury tire bake off at every stop light and then 3 weeks later the tires on your car are bald, who's fault is it? Is it the tires fault for being doodiety and using crappy rubber or it is the operator of the vehicle with the heavy foot? Post more info next time as well. Always post model numbers of product and where things like gain are set, box type used etc. The more info you give the more accurate an answer can be given.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
spl_kid 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is this if you keep blowing the replaced sub. the new sub requires a break-in period and you can't just pound on it out the box like your doing. That would cause it to malfunction or blow. If it is not the new sub everytime. it may be the loading of the enclosure over working one area of your enclosure.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2010 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Every sub that I have ever tested has been at its absolute max limit. Find a empty lot somewhere and tune away. If I had a system installed by a shop, and blew a sub, I'd be gosh darned if I didnt blame them. Installer error! Speaking of which, got a valid warranty? Oh, and dont underestimate Sony's peak power ratings. Their amps have their moments. Its why they call it explode, J/K.
This is what I do for FUN!
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
spl_kid wrote:
The problem is this if you keep blowing the replaced sub. the new sub requires a break-in period and you can't just pound on it out the box like your doing. That would cause it to malfunction or blow. If it is not the new sub everytime.
Not true. Subwoofers do not require a break-in period.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

zerepdivad wrote:
spl_kid wrote:
The problem is this if you keep blowing the replaced sub. the new sub requires a break-in period and you can't just pound on it out the box like your doing. That would cause it to malfunction or blow. If it is not the new sub everytime.
Not true. Subwoofers do not require a break-in period.

Uh-Oh...Refer to the search feature...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
What about it. two subs in a row are not going to just blow. He's obviously either got a crappy amp that puts out a "dirty" signal and is blasting the gain, or just plain doesn't know how to properly set up, and tune the amp.   I have done more than my fair share of amplifier, and subwoofer setups, and i always tell the customer they're ok to blast them right away, and with the amp tuned properly i have never had one blow right away like he is experiencing. His issues have nothing to do with "breaking in" his subwoofers.
But i'm really not going to get into a discussion about this because i'll let people think what they want.
Bottom line, his subs are not blowing because they aren't "broken in"
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic