the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

lat drivers available still

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
These are the "woofers" that Alpine used in their LAT systems a few years ago... Can still be gotten!
I bought two! I'll let ya know, but Dave expects good things! :)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
WOW those are crazy looking! I can't believe how CHEAP they are for something that complex looking.
What do you plan on using them for? Home theater or are you going to add them to your collection in your car?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
Beware that the Qts is very high on these things and they are pretty inefficient regardless of what the listed specs indicate.  They are low frequency compression drivers. 
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
z03mz03m wrote:
WOW those are crazy looking! I can't believe how CHEAP they are for something that complex looking.
The little guys are only $25 each! Next payday, I'm looking to order about 10 of those, just to have them to play with! I've heard those sound like arse, but I gotta have 'em!
z03mz03m wrote:
What do you plan on using them for? Home theater or are you going to add them to your collection in your car?
There's ALWAYS room to add more to the "car's collection". I already have a stuffed 10" TL and a sealed Eclipse Ti10 in there, why not add some more exotica!?! :)
DYohn wrote:
Beware that the Qts is very high on these things and they are pretty inefficient regardless of what the listed specs indicate.  They are low frequency compression drivers. 
Yepper! That's why I'm ordering two. I want low; I have 1100 watts to BFI them into a smaller box if need be! Because of the KNOWN inefficiency, I NEED two for output capacity. Dave LOVES high Qts woofers! BFI is my middle name! ROFL!! GREAT BIG enclosure, tuned as low as possible... That's what's on my mind... I think I can get 6 cubes in my trunk... <hmmm... can I...?>
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
$25 Where is that price??? not at that link you have. they have it listed at $230.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
My boss just tried some in-wall subs and was less than impressed. I think he would have enjoyed those better. But now I've talked him into building an IB setup in his attic using 4 Tempests. So I see him tipping the Richter scale in the future.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
My boss just tried some in-wall subs and was less than impressed. I think he would have enjoyed those better. But now I've talked him into building an IB setup in his attic using 4 Tempests. So I see him tipping the Richter scale in the future.

I'm planning an in-ceiling IB for my new house using at least two, maybe four, of the 21" Maelstroms.  lat drivers available still -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
z03mz03m wrote:
$25 Where is that price??? not at that link you have. they have it listed at $230.
Use the search for Tymphani, and you'll find the list... I DID say "the little ones"!
Plugging them in and playing with the numbers, and they look more and more like they're TL candidates. Qts is a little bit high, but I think they'd give acceptable results.
:::::EDIT:::::
Steven, I got 6.5 cubes, heavy stuffing, F3 of 16Hz, with a group delay of no worse than 52mS, and THAT'S at 15Hz! 35 square inches of port, 36 inches long. Maximum acoustic power at 120.8dB at 15.4Hz! Could work in a wall... Two of them in a HT, with 500 watts each... Hmmm... Maybe two more in Dave's future? :) They WILL fit in the wall, with a mounting depth of only 3.5", and a cutout of 6.5 inches wide!
DYohn wrote:
I'm planning an in-ceiling IB for my new house using at least two, maybe four, of the 21" Maelstroms. lat drivers available still -- posted image.
Weak, Dave... I expected more of you! LOL
haemphyst 
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
These things must be built like TANKS!!! Shipping weight for two is 75 pounds!!! lat drivers available still -- posted image. lat drivers available still -- posted image.
I kinda thought 70 dollars for freight was a bit excessive!
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
I remembered DYohn's post from Feb '06 when these new transducers were first introduced.  Waltzing back a ways to get to that one, eh?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic