icon

my home theater pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2010 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

I realize this is a car forum, but I figured some of you may like to see this.  I definately spent much more time on it then any car I've ever worked on!

After two long years of working in my basement I can finally sit back and enjoy my new home theater system.

Specs:

Panasonic AE3000U 1080P projector
Elite 120" 16:9 screen (over 8' wide!)
Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver
Panasonic blue ray player
Polk TC265i front and center channel (2 6.5" woofers and 1 tweeter per speaker)
Polk TC60i and TC615i rear and side speakers respectively
Polk 12" powered sub (not sure of model number).

A little background about the room - back when my wife and I first started talking about finishing our ~1000 sq ft basement I told her I wanted a theater room.  She wanted a rec room.  We compromised with her telling me I could have a theater only if it took up zero floor space.  Fortunately for me, my wife wasn't aware of projectors, in wall speakers, and my overall creativity!

The main room itself is awkwardly sized at 13' wide and 30' deep.  The depth gave me the ability to go big and this worked well with the zero floor space as projectors don't need stands.  I knew I wanted to cut the room roughly in half so I calculated the biggest screen that I could fit on the wall and then how far back the main seating had to be from it.  This allowed me to place a half wall right behind the couch (main seating area) to properly divide the room.  On the back of the half wall is a small 12" by 9' formica bar height counter top with 4 bar stools for drinks and food.

my home theater pics -- posted image.

The black thing on the cieling is the Panasonic projector

Underneath the "bar" there are AUX A/V inputs and an AUX HDMI connector to easily add anything I need to the system - similar to a front panel input.

To keep the speakers off the floor I placed all 7 off them in walls.  The two main front speakers are in custom built in wall enclosures and sound great.  The other 5 are all free air and are sufficient for what they are.  I cheated on the sub as there was no way to get it in a wall and have it sound good.  My wife let me slide because the corner it is sitting in was left wide open and the sub was something I already had and didn't have to buy.

Next, to keep the equipment off the floor I built an enclosure in the wall under the stairs.  I had some dark tinted glass cut for a door and basically you can't see anything in there besides the display of the reciever - it looks really cool.  The best part about this setup is that there is a pocket door to get in to the area under the steps and from there you can wire and rewire every part of the system.  NOTHING has to be pulled out to connect or disconnect.

In all there are 15 can lights that are currently controlled by a custom designed dimmer system.  Each of the two zones has 3 input switches strategically placed around the room.  Whichever switch was last used is the "active" switch and that switch determines the brighness of the lights (about 125 steps from off to on).  The 25A dimmer moduels are located in a large junction box that contains ALL the wiring for the basement (and only the basement).  Above the junction box is a subpanel dedicated to the basement.  The point behind the junction box is so that I can easily add an automation system if I decide to (or create one).  We went a little excessive on the wiring as almost all recepticals have dedicated wires.

All and all, after 2 years of messing around with it, it's great to sit down and enjoy the new space with my wife and 1yr old daugther.  I still have a little to do down there but it's pretty much smooth sailing from here.  So far I've done all the work myself in my spare time (I have a full time job) with the exception of finishing the drywall, installing the drop ceiling, laying the carpet and saw cutting my poured concrete foundation to add an egress window (there are pictures of that whole project on my facebook).  It's been a great learning experiance and is very rewarding to sit in a room that you did most of the work in!

Kevin Pierson
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
KP you SOB...Im comming over next superbowl!! Very Nice, good work! QUESTIONS:
Are your lighting cans on 120v? Are all connected together or controlled as one?
The HDMI spare you have, how far does that cable run? How much did it cost?
This is what I do for FUN!
KPierson 
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  

All the cans are 120vac but all the switches are 5vdc.  For the most part, there are two lighting zones in the basement - the front zone and the back zone.  There are 6 cans on the front and 7 on back.  Each zone has 3 switches associated with it and you can precisely dim the zone from any of the 3 switches (the controller acts like the last switched used is the only switch in the system).

The HDMI cable is 25' and I don't remember the cost - I bought it at Monoprice.com.

Thanks for the compliments!

Kevin Pierson
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
That theater looks really nice. Great job!
I have a Panasonic 1000U and love it. Good choice on the projector.
If you ever want more bass, you could mount the subs on the wall under your equipment rack. Then just run it IB using the closet as your enclosure.
KPierson 
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

thats a great idea for the subs - I never thought about that.

Hopefully the 1 powered 12" sub will be enough.  Fingers crossed!

Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Good stuff...Living the dream...I especially like the pile of wires/bypasses on the table...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
KPierson 
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
We call them "modules".  They are manufactured in other areas of my basement.  Beyond the theater I have a bedroom, a full bathroom, a decent sized wood shop, and a smaller "clean" electronics area.  Definately a man cave!
Kevin Pierson
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Just lacking the stripper pole...! my home theater pics -- posted image. (aka the boom-boom room)
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
KPierson 
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
haha, yes I am.  I went out of my way to make sure ALL poles ended up inside walls.  I believe there were three total and two were easy.  It was the pole that was 4" in diameter that I struggled with.  I ended having to build the wall out a bit, but I got it and it almost looks like I meant to do it.
Kevin Pierson
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 13, 2010 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
haha, yes I am.   I went out of my way to make sure ALL poles ended up inside walls.   I believe there were three total and two were easy.   It was the pole that was 4" in diameter that I struggled with.   I ended having to build the wall out a bit, but I got it and it almost looks like I meant to do it.
You should probably add a disclaimer; "All strippers were removed prior to encasing poles in said walls."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic