icon

general alarm wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
The reason I decided to install the alarm in the Pass side kick panel was because there was room there, where as the driver's side was completely cramped.
So in your opinion, it would be best to find somewhere to mount the main unit somewhere in the driver's location so I'm not running all the heavy gauge wires over to the pass side? Then when I'm there I can tap into the the +12 wires for H3 harness off the +12V off the ignition harness?
I'd rather not run wires into the firewall because I'll have to drill and get grommets, but I will if I have to.
Thanks for bearing with me too, I'm learning alot as I go along.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Yes,,,I would recommend installing it on the drivers side...If everything is apart there has to be a spot...I did one a cpl weeks ago and mounted it in drivers underdash...I'm thinking there was a big fat grommet you could just poke through for the firewall if you decide on leaving it on the passenger side......But to avoid all these "extra" problems and cost...Find a spot on the drivers side!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
i normally mount my brain and then route the wires to the ignition harness...I always prep the units with tape from the connector to about 4-6 inches from top of harness...Its looks clean and hard to distinguish between factory and aftermarket wires...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Ok that's fine I'll just find somewhere to put the main unit closer to the driver's side.
Last question regarding the wiring. for the 3 heavy gauge wires, is it ok to make a one splice in the +12 wire in the ignition harness, then tie all three wires together and solder them to the +12 wire in one spot?
Thanks again for all the help!
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Normally there is more then one 12v wire and try to separate as much as possible...All 3 in one spot might get a little hectic...But you could peel the insulation in more then one spot...Or attach one of them lower down on the 12v lead on the units harness...So then there is only 2 wires actually being attached to the ignition harness...Some(me when i did preps for dealership cars) will even do this with ALL there power connections and just attach one lead to the ignition harness...Again usually there is more then one 12v wire so that should at least cover 2 of them...the 3rd...either attach to the ignition harness or lower down on the units power wire...Usually done during the prep period...But doesnt matter...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
tommy... 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
And not forgetting another reason for asking for vehicle details is that on some modern cars the fuseboxes, ignition wires and even supposedly permanent radio memory wires will "go to sleep" to conserve the battery life. If in doubt go to the battery. I have lots of spares, power plugs, amp, main head unit feeds, the ACC is switched via a relay. These have an 80 amps primary within 4"* of the battery, and then a small distribution block inside the car running to an 8 way fuse box for further distribution.
For what it's worth I have a separate Clifford alarm controlling an Intellistart, the Intellistart power and ground leads go straight to the battery for smoother power with no complications.
*Within 4" (10cm) of source should be a MANDATORY safety requirement. Most competent installers will follow this rule.

10-4 good buddy...!

M.E.C.P & First-Class
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic