icon

flashing led to constant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
I want to change a flashing led light to a constant on when it is active and turn off when it is not active.
Will the diagram for the pulsed to constant be the one I need to use? And if so, does the capacitor need to be just big enough to last between the next flash pulse?
Thanks
Shawn
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2010 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
What exactly are you trying to do?
Kevin Pierson
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to make a flashing led stay on constant. The output for the led is flashing. There is no way to change it. Its an aftermarket indicator light.
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
If this is a 2-wire flashing LED, you can't - the flasher (chip) is integral to the LED.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  

What controls the LED now?

Are you trying to replace the flashing LED of an alarm with an aftermarket indicator light?  Again, more detail would help here.

Kevin Pierson
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

a capacitor across the leads of the led...check polarity of course.  shouldn't need more than a 6 volt rated cap.  be best to experiment with values of capacitance, use the minimum necessary to keep the led constant.

m

blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
This is actually a 2 led setup. One Red one Green. The module indicates 4 different options. If option 1 is turned on, the red lights up constant, if option 2 is turned on the red flashes. And the 3 and 4 are the same with the green Led. These are merely indicators for a control module. They are just there to let you know what option is active.
Both Leds have 3 wires going from the module to the led. So it has a ground, a constant and a flashing wire.
I want to separate it into 4 leds. The one indicator will be on constant, and turn off when the second indicator is activated. But the second one is designed to flash, and I want that to be constant.
I want to mount the leds in an area of the car that will be easy for me to see while driving, but the constant flashing will bug me while I drive at night.
Ween, am I trying to match the capacitor to the time between flashes to keep it lit constant? Or do I want to use a capacitor that will not drain during the entire time that light will be lit up?
Shawn
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
First find out if the control side for the flashing is ground switched or (+) switched, and if the limiting resistor is part of the control module or if it's built into your LEDs.
Measure the voltage across the two wires going to the LED when it's on, and see if it shows battery voltage or some value below 4V. That'd tell you if the limiting resistor is in the module.
Then with the LED off, measure the voltage of either wire referenced to ground and see if it shows 0V or 12V. If it's 12V then it's ground switched, if it's 0V then it's using (+) switching.
edit: just read your description saying it has a ground wire connection, so it's (+) switching. Just see if it's showing full 12V across the LED when it's on then-
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Dualsport.
Once I have everything in hand, I will find out that info. I am going by the wiring diagram that I was sent before I ordered it.
Just wanted to get some info before hand.
Shawn
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
Reading your description, there are 6 wires from the module going to the two LEDs; you need to see what they measure when they're on.
If the flashing control wire is a steady output, the flashing is integral to your LED like ole' sparky said, so you wouldn't use that LED input wire if you want it to be steady on.   In that case you would just wire the control wire to your added LED.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic