icon

flashing led to constant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

The fact that the LED has three wires on it makes me think that the actual outputs are constant.  If the module was capable of pulsing the LED why would they include an extra wire?  They could either hold the output on or pulse it and make a simpler LED.  Most likely the LED has some extra hardware that the third pin is hooked to and that causes it to flash when energized.

Can you post the diagrams that you have?  How detailed are they?

Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds strange to me too.
I can't find any 3-wire flashing LEDs. The only multi-wire LEDs I find are multicolor etc.
I suspect that unless the diagrams are posted, we will have to wait until blowndakrt has everything in hand.
As for capacitor delays, I think an RC feeding a transistor etc for the 3rd wire - but that all depends.....
Blowndakrt - why not use another module or LEDs?
What is special with this module as opposed to installing your own LEDs?
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Like I said before, the leds are simply indicators. They are imbedded into a 3 way toggle switch controller. The wires come from the brain to the toggle with a connector on each end. It has 10 wires that goes to it. I don't want to use the LED in the toggle switch, but have 4 Leds of my own mounted in a different location. I just don't want them to flash.
Black - Ground
Blue/White - option 1 indicator
Blue/Green - option 2 indicator
Blue/Black - Indicator 1 ground
WHITE/ Red - option 3 indicator
WHITE/ Blue - option 4 indicator
WHITE/ Black - Indicator 2 ground
Yellow - Power
GREEN/ YELLOW - Option Select up
GREEN / WHITE - Option Select down
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
blowndakrt wrote:
Like I said before, the leds are simply indicators.....
blowndakrt wrote:
Both Leds have 3 wires going from the module to the led.
I suggest a diagram, else a clear unambiguous description....
(ie, redo your last and add the from & to info (switch to module, module to g-LED etc).
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
All the above wires go from the module to the rocker switch. The leds are inside the rocker switch. It basically has a small harness that goes from the module to the rocker switch. Both have a connector on each end. One that plugs into the module and one that plugs into the connector for the rocker switch.
There is another connector on the module, but that is for power, ground and outputs going to whatever you want the different options to turn on or off.
From what was described to me by the tech, the only thing that is transmitted to the module from the rocker switch is the GREEN/ YELLOW and the GREEN / WHITE. Both are negative pulses. That is how you select which option you want.
I am not sure what I should refer to the leds being besides an indicator light. Cause they indicate what option the module is currently on. When on option 1 the red led is on constant, when on option 2 the red blinks, when on option 3 the green lights up constant, when on option 4 the green blinks.
I do not want to use the leds in the rocker switch. I plan to install my own leds in a different location. My plan was to use the signal coming from the module to either power or ground my own leds, depending on what pulse the indicator wires are seeing. The tech had said the option 2 and option 4 indicator wires send the pulsed signal to the led so it will flash. So if I used those wires on a different led, I want to stop them from flashing.
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
So the LEDs have TWO terminals - not three? (!!)
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
I honestly can't say how many terminals are on the actual led. They are built into the rocker switch.
But I would assume that that since the Blue/White is for option 1 indicator and Blue/Green is option 2 indicator, which are both the red led, the led has 3 connections because the Blue/Black is the ground for indicator 1.
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Ah well, now that you have corrected you previous information...
But whilst we are at it (and before I go further) - why do you want to use this module?
Why not wire up separate red green whatever LEDs to your 12V battery etc?
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think you are following what I am actually doing with the leds.
I plan to use my own leds, but they would have to be connected to the module to let me know what option is selected. I could wire up all the controls with separate toggle switches with leds, but then I would have 4 rocker switches instead of 1. That is the reason to keep the module. But the flashing lights while I was driving at night would be annoying.
As far as correcting my previous information, I am not sure what I said incorrectly before. Could you explain?
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think you are answering my question. Again.   
Why are you persisting with that module?
What does it do that you so desperately.... (we need more emoties!)?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic