flashing led to constant

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blowndakrt 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
I thought I did answer your question.
Like I said in my previous post, it has 4 outputs that can be controlled through a single rocker switch. It has indicators that lets you know what output is on.
Its specific use has not yet been decided. If I am not able to get the leds to stop from flashing, I will not use it and try to find another way to do it.
But I think I am just gonna try playing with some capacitors to see if I can figure it out on my own.
Thanks to everyone that contributed information to help out.
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
IMO you said it did that, but NOT that that was WHY you wanted it.
Okay, so the workaround is more complex than a new solution (a 4017 etc etc).
As I said before, the best is probably some "small" RC delay that controls a transistor etc. Ideally it would only react to the pulsing mode, and doesn't use voltage reversal....
Anyhow good luck. You'll find a solution.
Over & Out.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

With only one toggle switch how to you cycle through the outputs?

What kind of outputs are they (relay, (-) x00ma, etc)?

Is it possible to somehow use the 4 outputs to drive LEDs directly?

Do you have a link to the product - I would like to read more about it.

Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Damn- so much for unlinking from posts!
KP - the unit sounds like a typical modern LED module for whatever function - whether pushbike lights, personal torches, Christmas tree lights etc - one button cycles through the different operational (lighting) modes.
They used to be done with f.ex a push button clocking a CD4017 (1 of 10 decade counter) etc and each selected output with its own function (flash, red, green, of, etc.   
(I just bought another "head torch". Alas I knew it had off, half & on modes; but I didn't see its flash node... But that's the last cycle so you merely hit it (its button) twice.
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

With only one toggle switch how to you cycle through the outputs?

What kind of outputs are they (relay, (-) x00ma, etc)?

Is it possible to somehow use the 4 outputs to drive LEDs directly?

Do you have a link to the product - I would like to read more about it.

The module sees the negative pulses and switches to the other option. Its a 3 way rocker. You can hit the button in one direction to turn on option 1, hit it in the same direction again, it turns on option 2. If you want options 3 or 4 you hit the switch in the other direction once or twice.
I don't have a link because the product is still in development. I was lucky enough to get one to play with to see if it would be something we would use at our shop. When I suggested to them to not have the leds flash, they said it would greatly increase the cost as they would have to use 4 different colored leds to show option selection. So I was trying to find a work around for my own personal tastes.
Shawn
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
They could binary code the LEDs if only four modes are to be displayed.
Both LEDs off (00) = mode 1
Left LED off, right LED on (01) = mode 2
Left LED on, right LED off (10) = mode 3
Both LEDs on (11) = mode 4
Of course that means there's no mode where all outputs are off, but it doesn't seem like that's an option in the setup described now.
Adding a couple extra LEDs doesn't seem like it'd be a huge dent in the bankbook though, unless it's just because they want to use up a stockpile of lighted rocker switches they already have-
blowndakrt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Well that type of thing is beyond me. LOL.
They are going with the 2 leds to keep everything contained in the one rocker switch. Which makes sense if you are wanting to control 4 outputs in as small as package as you can.
I did however find out that the wire colors he sent me are incorrect. Apparently that was an older version.
The newer version is now only using 1 wire per led. So that means the flashing portion is inside the module. I don't know if it is a negative trigger or positive. But since they run both power and ground to the rocker, I am assuming they are using one of those wires to complete the circuit for the leds.
So keeping one from flashing is now a mute point. I don't believe there is a way to split up those signals to the led.
I do appreciate the help offered.
Thanks
Shawn
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Glad to hear of the updated design.
From what you described, it wasn't good....
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic