the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Starter Kill Relays, 20/30 Amp vs. 40 Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
Any one checked the ignition switch, based on the fact that it's about 16million to 1 against new relay failure.
wire2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
car cranks only with aftermarket starter cut relay plugged in. if its unplug the car doesnt get a signal. with the car starter wire directly connected to other half starter waire it cranks ok.
could the aftermarket relay be faulty? should I use a 40amp ? or 20amp ?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

Obviously the car will only start with the relay plugged in! It's starter kill isn't it?

What you have to do is eliminate the relay entirely and use the car on your normal basis to see if the problem still persists, then you can point fingers at the relay!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
wire2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
its a starter kill. the starter was replaced and tested good the same for the ignition switch. all wire grounds are tight and clean.
I would need the starter kill for the alarm
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

The question was rhetorical! I know that you would need the relay for the starter kill, however you have a more serious problem, which threathens to leave you stranded somewhere in the middle of the night! So eliminate the relay for a while! Highly probable it wasn't slowing down a professional thief anyway!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
simplyfalling 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

we understand you need the starter kill for the alarm, but unfortunately something went wrong somewhere and now your stuck in a troubleshooting stage.  You can either a; get your meter out and test what is going on at the relay, through multiple crank cycles, just make sure you've got some kind of trickle charger on the battery.  b: remove the starter kill relay from the installation and run through the crank cycle, documenting the vehicles performance which will afford you some knowledge pertaining to whether or not the starter kill relay is affecting the vehicle.

What is the year make and model of the vehicle you are having difficulties with?  That info might help us help you better.  It me be related to something someone here might have seen before.  Best Luck

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Bypass the relay to eliminate it as a possibility.
wire2 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
the relay has a slight burnt odor.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
I lost count...
Is it 9 times that bypassing and checking the relay has been mentioned?
The relay's burnt odour is probably only because it's been mentioned so many times - it is very unlikely to have anything to do with it having anything whatsoever to with its failure.
Since you are probably switching low current, it's unlikely to be contact burn - and that tends not so smell anyhow.
Burnt out solenoids tend to smell burnt, but as Howie says, this is statistically unlikely.
Why not follow Howie's excellent advice and check the IgSwitch - it is a cause that is so often overlooked.
Failing that, remove the starter and have it checked by a pro.
If it is some power connection fault, that's likely to be fixed when you retighten the returned starter.
And have your battery tested by a pro whilst you are at it (maybe by the starter tester & get a package deal?).    
It could be other things, but if it's none of the above, try bypassing the relay on the off-chance that it is the problem.
I'm a bit unsure, but I think that could be the problem.
(Hey guy's, did I score a "TEN" ....)
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

I have an idea.

i am an idiot wrote:
i am an idiot wrote:
Bypass the relay to eliminate it as a possibility.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic