the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

testing alarm outputs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monty862 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if I can test an input by grounding it to see if the alarm wil sound. I have a Viper 5901 that I'm having trouble getting to work with my door triggers. Can I ground the green negative door trigger wire H1/8 directly to the vehicle ground to test it. It shows constant 12 volts whether armed or disarmed.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
If it is the negative door trigger wire, yes grounding it should make the alarm go off.  What kind of vehicle do you have.  Some vehicles have door trigger systems that fail. 
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Just in case, make sure you disconnect it from the factory wire prior to grounding it. That way if you accidentally got the wrong wire you won't do any damage.
monty862 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
Its a 2010 Fusion. I have a thread on here about my install, but have had no replies on this for several days. I didn't want to start another thread, but I thought this might be considered a new issue. All the other triggers are working. Hood pin, trunk trigger and shock sensor all will sound alarm when triggered. All four door trigger wires are diode isolated with the bands towards the SJB. I tested all diodes before and after attaching to the trigger wires. I show resistance when the door is closed and open circuit when door is open. The message center on the dash is still functioning properly and will identify which door is open.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

Audiovox has the following info for your vehcle.

All Door Trigger GRAY/VIOLET (+) AT SMART JUNCTION BOX BEHIND DRIVERS SIDE OF DASH ABOVE KICKPANEL

the note reads: SJB 14 PIN GRAY CONNECTOR PIN#9
monty862 
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks. I just grounded the green H1/8 and the alarm did not sound. Do you think I should try using the positive trigger wire you listed with the purple H1/6 instead or see about replacing the 5901 module?

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
 You sort of answered your own question in a way.
monty862 wrote:
and open circuit when door is open.
An open circuit, which all newer Ford door triggers are, is neither a (+) or (-)  I always use the domelight...in your case the Grey/violet (+).It will have a delay, so if your system has a setting to ignore the open door for a period of time, you will need to set it.
monty862 
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks. Wonder why the DEI install sheet shows these four "trigger" wires, color and location? And any clue why it still didn't sound when I grounded the wire? testing alarm outputs -- posted image.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering the same thing.....did you allow the alarm enough time to set up?
monty862 
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

I didn't know there was any set up time. I hit arm and grounded the wire within 30 seconds.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic