the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

alarm choice opinions from the experts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  

if you have patience and want to learn something new, this will be a fun task.

remember everyone is willing to help, just post questions if you got them. you can check out the 5901 and caravan thread. he was about to get it done at his shop, i told him to diy and save the buck. before you know it, he is done without problems and is adding more and more to protect his system.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

Hello again!

I took some time off most forums, been camping a lot and bought a metal detector for a new hobby.

Since I started this thread I haven't made an alarm purchase, so it's time to bustamove.

I still have a couple of choices bookmarked, so if these aren't outdated I will probably buy one of these:

Clifford Matrix 70.5X (p/n 5501C) = $199.99

Viper 7900 (p/n 5501V) R/B =  $189.99 (refurb, same as 70.5X but marked Viper)

Python 991 (p/n 5702P) = $269.99

Viper 5901 (p/n 5702V) =  $259.99

XpressKit XK07 = $54.99 (required)

I know there are some folks that love other mfr, but when I look at those products, I just don't get it somehow. :(

Anyone have first hand experience with any of these? Successes? Horror stories? Recommendations?

Thx again!

I know just enough to be dangerous. VERY dangerous.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
They are all the same product!! Or variations on the Viper 5901/2.
Good luck with the remotes and the brains. Read the posts here and see what gives problems.
anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

No offense Howie but that was my point, and I have searched the forums for related posts, I'm now soliciting new replies.

"Good luck with the remotes and the brains." Exactly what I was getting at. If someone has a lot of bad experiences or returns, please indicate.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

There was a problem originally with the first generation lc3 responder systems which they now supposedly corrected, i have installed quite a few since they corrected the defect, but i have still had some problems with the remotes on a few, let's say, one out of every ten.

In comparison to the earlier generation responders i would say they should have stuck to it except maybe for some of the design changes which do make things easier.

anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the feedback. I am of the impression that DEI makes most brand of alarm systems. If that's the case, how in hades would I chose between any of them from the same mfr if all the brands have these problems? "one out of every ten" is an insane fail rate.

Secondly, If I want to buy and install myself, then I think it comes down to which reseller I buy from and what level of support they offer.

Let's push all DEi aside with the 1-in10 problems, any suggestion in the next best no nassle works-out-of-the-box solution?

TIA

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

Compustar CM5000 or CM6000 would be a good choice.  Very reliable.  Also capable of using iDatalink Blade modules or D2D with Fortin and iDatalink.  Not exactly sure what make / model / year we are talking about.  I saw something earlier about Pathfinder or Murano.  Nissans with push to start can be time consuming. 

Most major manufacturers don't support DIYers.  The XK07 will need to be flashed with the correct firmware just as the iDatalink or Blade module would.   Fortin bypass modules usually come with the latest firmware on them and are ready right out of the box. 

Soldering is fun!
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
The leading brands from what I can see from the other side of the pond and unfortunately we only get DEI are as follows.
DEI by sheer volume
Compustar
Avox/Prestige/Code
Zenesys
All are high quality, of the people on your side with whom I speak, Compustar appear the most reliable, early Zenesys had problems they appear to have resolved.
None of these are at all suitable for DIY install, most of the problems posted here are because of DIYers making the sort of mistakes that pros from experience simply wouldn't.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

x1 on what Howie mentioned.

compustar, and dei products would be the most popular. Zenesis alarms were very faulty in the early gens, but they have corrected those. The range is not bad, but nothing compares to the compustar in my opinion. I have installed many from leading brands and i like compustar the most.

next in line is i like the autopage line, the remotes are very nice and the range is just as good as any other unit out there.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
None of these are at all suitable for DIY install, most of the problems posted here are because of DIYers making the sort of mistakes that pros from experience simply wouldn't.

Now THAT'S why I read the forums for months on end and gather all of the diagrams and map things out before buying.

I've had an email thread with #that guarantees me that the XK77 will be flashed to the latest firmware before shipping.

All of the questions regarding fusing, crimping, door triger polarity, tach wire color, dual remote starter selonoids and programable relays will be ironed out before hand.

Plus, I worked as an installer once upon a time and have an extensive electronics background similar to oldspark (just not as old, my diagrams werent written on papyrus) :D

Thx for the reassurances, I'll revisit the compustar models.

Thx to Velocity Motors for posting the Compustar CM6000 install v2 pdf!

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic