clifford 20.7x in 2004 grand am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
job8293 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello-

I was hoping anybody who has installed a remote starter in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am could help me out.  I have installed a couple of basic remote starters in Honda Civics with no problem, in the Grand Am I am having some trouble locating the ignition harness.  What is the easiest way to access this?

Thanks for anyone's help!

joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like you need to remove the radio (read the notes at the bottom):
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.html
Click Pontiac, look for the 02-04 GrandAm link
job8293 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
I removed the radio and can see the ignition harness where it goes into the ignition switch.  The wires seem very tight, there is very little slack to work with, I didn't know if there was another way to access them where there was a little more give in the wires. 
job8293 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Also, the wiring diagram lists the starter wire as yellow, however in the ignition harness there are no yellow wires. There is a heavy gauge off white wire, is this the starter wire?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 5:51 AM / IP Logged  

I recently did an 03 Grand AM.  The 03-06's should be the same.  The easist way to get the IGN wires is by removing the radio.  While space is limited, there is a litttle slack in the harness.  Just cut open the harness and expose the wires.  On the one I did, the starter wire was Yellow but Its always best to verify all wires with a DMM. 

For a bypass, I would recommend the iDatalink modules, like the ADS DLSL GM1.  Its does the bypass, doors, alarm, trunk & tach for you.

Soldering is fun!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  

i just did one last friday as well. If youunbolt the ignition cylinder, it gives you abit more room to work with.

I was using a fortin piece but i couldnt get it to program for some reason. I used 1 relay and resistor and i was on the dot for resistance reading, so it worked great.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
job8293 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help everyone.  I was just trying to put the hood pin switch in and am having trouble finding a place to feed the wire through the firewall.  For those of you that have worked on a grand am is it easier to drill a new hole or use any exisitng holes?  Thanks again!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
I used a tilt switch mounted to the hood.  I did not drill a hole so I must have found a pre-existing hole with gromet to pass the wire it thru.  I can't remember exactly where though.
Soldering is fun!
job8293 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
You can just tie into the tilt switch?
kreg357 
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  

Your car does not come with a tilt switch on the hood.  I add it as part of the R/S install.

Instead of the spring loaded hood pin that comes with the R/S,  I use the Omega AU-46 tilt switch.  I don't like drilling holes, so I mount it to the hood with one of the  hood hinge mounting bolts.  The tilt switch itself comes with 2 leds.  One goes to the R/S hood pin (-) input.  The othe led goes to chasis ground under the hood.  More reliable that a hood pin which ends up rusted/corroded within a year.  The only drawback is if you park the car on a very steep hill it might think the hood is up and not allow a remote start.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic