icon

oem sat ant integration w/ aftermarket

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
drvnbysound 
Silver - Posts: 289
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
I searched the forums for topics regarding this and only found 1 thread which related to BMW and I believe it dated back to the '08 timeframe.
Are ANY OEM Satellite radio antennas able to be integrated with an aftermarket system? I am specifically looking for this integration relating to a 2010 Ford Explorer and a Pioneer Sat Radio Tuner (XM or Sirius). However, I would assume any information on other automakers would also be helpful in a single thread.
If this is not possible (which I assume to be the case), is there a reason that aftermarket manufacturers arent changing this to integrate with OEM antennas? I mean seriously, why would anyone want to add a second antenna? No one does, but as far as I know we are currently forced to do so :( Please advise.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
In my 2008 Ford F350, equipped with factory Sirius, all I needed to do was to unclip part of the plastic molex on the end of the antenna. After that it plugged right into my aftermarket Eclipse Sirius radio tuner. I have not seen a 2010 model factory sirius antenna but I am summising that it is the same. Find the end and have a look at it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

The connector style i've seen on most OEM satellite (SDARS) antennas is a FAKRA type, which is a SMB connector with a keyed and/or color-coded housing.  The connector on most aftermarket antennas is a SMB. Removing the housing typically allows clearance for the connect to mate properly.   I've used the factory antennas for Sirius aftermarket pieces on Chrysler, Ford and VW so far.

m

drvnbysound 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the responses. This information is invaluable as I can pass along the information without having to tear the car apart :)
The main vehicle in question for me is a 2010 Explorer. With the vehicle purchase, it came with a 6-month subscription to Sirius. Unfortunately, the owner is not really impressed with the Microsoft SYNC system (no surprise!) and is interested in upgrading to a Pioneer GPS unit. Also note that he had XM in his previous vehicle vs. the current Sirius subscription which he doesnt really care for - he liked XM much better. Pioneer obviously offers tuners for either provider. However, it seems that the (Pioneer) XM Tuner has the FAKRA-type connection, while the (Pioneer) Sirius tuner has a SMB connection.
All of this leads me to question... are the satellite radio antennas specific in any way to one provider or the other? I wasnt sure if there were specific characteristics (e.g. frequency or other) that made the antenna specific to XM or Sirius - or are they interchangeable?
What I am hoping for, is that I can use the OEM (FAKRA-type hopefully) antenna on the Pioneer XM Tuner.
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

from information found here:   http://www.mwrf.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5892

it appears the supply voltage required is different, as is the frequency range.

given the voltage ranges specified, i'd say you could try an sirius antenna on an xm receiver..the other way around may damage the antenna.

drvnbysound 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Wow... a plethora of information there regarding SAT radio antennas. Thanks for the link.
Another question I have (possibly better suited for another thread) is regarding the OEM microphone that is integrated with Ford's Microsoft SYNC system - and integrated into the rear view mirror. As many of you know, many aftermarket headunits now come with BlueTooth as a standard feature, but usually require the installation of an external (aftermarket) mic. Do you guys have any idea if the OEM mic could be used instead? Simply trying to keep any extra interior "clutter" away.
I figure the OEM mic is likely terminated in a pinned plug, but I figure I could probably simply add on extension cabling (as needed) and connect with a standard 3.5mm (1/8") male phono plug.
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
I sometimes use the factory XM antenna on Chevys, it's behind the glove box on the passanger side but you may need to use a SR-ADP connector, which can be purchased online for around $10.  http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/90degreeconnectorsr-adpforantennaandxmradio.aspx 
**advanced mecp certified
Ween 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

using the microphone may be possible.  the existing equipment (sync, bluetooth module) probably provides power for it.  the microphone element is usually an electret type, which requires a small voltage to operate.  you could measure the dc voltage at it and compare it to the value measured at your headunit.  you'd need to measure the voltage with the microphone connected to the equipment of course.  if the voltages are similar, you may be in luck.  if you were looking to use the microphone as input for multiple sources, some sort of isolation may be required to prevent a ground loop and voltage source/sinking issues.  one source would provide power and be an audio input, the other just an audio input.

m

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic