1990 eclipse, dei 504d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

Greetings,

I just picked up a DEI Double-Stage Shock sensor to try on my 1990 Eclipse with OE security.  According to the manufacturer description, the First-Stage is a warning trigger (Green wire), and the Second-Stage is the full alarm trigger (Blue wire).  From the supplied harness, it's evident the two outputs are open collector and can be tied together so the main alarm fires even for a warning.

Since my Security controller doesn't support a warning, the obvious install involves Green and Blue tied together (ie harness loop end at the sensor), however, two questions:

1) If I wanted to create a warning signal, what is typical vehicle behavior when delivering a warning?

2) Is the actual output from both Blue and Green wires just a brief negative going pulse (like the 506T Glass-Break sensor)?

Thanks for any insights!

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
trevors wrote:
1) If I wanted to create a warning signal, what is typical vehicle behavior when delivering a warning?>

Typical vehicle behaviour?1990 eclipse, dei 504d -- posted image. The alarm sends out brief chirps in succession to "warn away"

trevors wrote:
2) Is the actual output from both Blue and Green wires just a brief negative going pulse (like the 506T Glass-Break sensor)?

Yes the wires pulse momentarily, normally it's up to the brain of the system to interpret the trigger and act accordingly!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks very much!  As an afterthought, I'm guessing the sensitivity control applies equally to both Warning and Alarm functions?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

some shock sensors will have a dial for warning and full impact.

some will only have 1

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well, from inspection, the DEI 504D only has a single potentiometer.  I had expected inclusion of paper documentation, but no -- at least the wire functions are imprinted on the sensor case.  Can't complain about the price, so maybe the minimal documentation has its advantages :)!

Thanks -- the one adjustment probably applies to both modes.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
The adjustment on that sensor controls both, so the more sensitive the easier the full trigger sequence becomes to activate, also do not mount this sensor on metal or solid parts it's worthless! Tie it to a large wire harness or any plastic ducts under the dash you can access fairly easily!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Wow!  I was about to ask if the case orientation mattered, but it never occurred to me rigid mounting itself doesn't work!  That would have had me guessing for awhile -- thanks :)!

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2010 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

I just finished installing and testing the DEI-504D:

FWIW -- I ended up taping it against the side of a center dash metal support member and I'm not having a problem with it detecting exterior vehicle shocks.  The sensitivity is set to max and the Green wire is tied off for now.  It's triggering fine via the Blue wire from various places around the car (takes a pretty good thwack, but not too bad).  All I can guess is perhaps the one that requires a soft mounting is pre-"D"?

I plan on devising a "Chirp" equivalent warning for the Green wire to trigger -- should be a fun project :).

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Just completed the install by using the Green Stage I wire to control a reed relay to activate the vehicle horn relay.  Turns out the sensor pulse width is perfect for a horn warning -- good job DEI :)!  All connections are now soldered and I'm finding the sensitivity to be excellent at the max setting.  If I decide it's too sensitive, I'll ease it back a little.  (I'm definitely not having a lack of sensitivity issue with the sensor pressed fairly tightly against a mid-dash steel support member.)

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
A follow up comment on the DEI 504D.  Admittedly, my install has only been finalized for roughly a day, but I think it would be improved with separate adjustments for the Stage I and Stage II sensitivities.  My impression is they are a little too close to each other.  I'd prefer to set the Stage II "Alarm" for a little more aggressive contact, thereby covering more territory with the "Warning".  Just a thought!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic