1990 eclipse, dei 504d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

trevors wrote:
A follow up comment on the DEI 504D.  Admittedly, my install has only been finalized for roughly a day, but I think it would be improved with separate adjustments for the Stage I and Stage II sensitivities.  My impression is they are a little too close to each other.  I'd prefer to set the Stage II "Alarm" for a little more aggressive contact, thereby covering more territory with the "Warning".  Just a thought!

Move it from the metal to somewhere less sturdy and you'll see the difference! Why do you think you have to set it at max? 1990 eclipse, dei 504d - Page 2 -- posted image.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, but your earlier input (below) appears to completely negate the results I'm actually experiencing.

t&t tech wrote:
...,also do not mount this sensor on metal or solid parts it's worthless! Tie it to a large wire harness or any plastic ducts under the dash you can access fairly easily!

This leaves me unclear as to the validity of your suggestion.  Still, I've tried to identify an appropriate cable bundle or duct that wouldn't complicate opening the dash for maintenance or mod purposes, and haven't been too successful :(.  However, in light of your quoted statement, I'm not clear you're a good resource on this issue.  No offense intended, but quite simply, your original statement didn't hold up.

If others agree that a soft mounting works better than I'm experiencing, I'll do my best to give it a shot :)!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

i riptie the sensors to a large wire loom, and they are far better than full on metal.

you can use some double sided tape or velcro and mount the sensor to metal.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

So you guys are both saying that a soft mounting will increase the separation between the Stage I and Stage II triggers?  If that's the case, then it's definitely worth trying the velcro mount to metal technique. 

However, just in case there's a misunderstanding, I've absolutely no need for additional sensitivity -- a fairly light rap on either bumper triggers the Stage I "Warning", so that's perfectly fine as is.  Although it does take a stronger rap to trigger the Stage II "Alarm", I would just have preferred there be a larger gap between them.

================================LATER====================================

Wow!  I just reinstalled the 504D with velcro to the same metal support member and the sensitivity difference is dramatic.  From a "fairly light rap" triggering the warning, now barely more than touching the bumper triggers the actual alarm.  Thanks for leaning on me guys :)!   I'm going to adjust the sensitivity and then report back.

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Had to roll the sensitivity back perhaps 30 degrees, but now it's giving a warning for a fairly light rap at various points.  My impression is soft mount provides more uniform response around the vehicle, and though I'm not certain it differentiates more between Stage I and Stage II shocks, it might be.

Thanks for the input "t&t tech", you may have exaggerated a little, but your instruction was clearly correct.  Again , thanks both :)!

jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. Zip tied to the large wire loom harness is perfect. I am guessing it is the ignition harness under the steering wheel. The only thing that would make this all easier is buying a DEI alarm and disabling your OE alarm system or get a bypass module. Just an FYI on the shock sensor harness.. green and blues wires act accordingly the same. Impulses shorter than .08 seconds will trigger warn away, and more than .08 secs triggers full alarm.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

jcs091570 wrote:
Just an FYI on the shock sensor harness.. green and blues wires act accordingly the same. Impulses shorter than .08 seconds will trigger warn away, and more than .08 secs triggers full alarm.

Not sure what you mean when you say the "wires act accordingly the same" -- unless you're referring to the output electrical characteristics (which would surely make sense).  So when you say "impulses shorter than .08 seconds", I interpret you to mean actual shock impulse duration as detected at the sensor front end.  Which I find fascinating since I haven't come across any specs at all on this sensor (among others :(). Do you have a line to the developers :)?

PS.  If the sensor is using duration rather than amplitude as its criterion, that certainly explains why soft mount is preferable to hard mount.  I was expecting it to be amplitude, though at the same time, lack of a mounting tab argued against hard mount design intent.  Ultimately, I guess I was trying to swim against the current :)!

jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Well the impulses are based on the amplitude of the shock.. and the sensitivity of the dial. Obviously the higher it is turned up, the more sensitive it will be to the amplitude. If you mount the 504d properly, you can get away with setting the dial at midpoint. The 2 I have are set at mid level and I have very rarely had a false alarm. Granted a loud bang of thunder, a Harley or dump truck pass right by your car it is inevitable. You'll have fun experimenting and trying different things with sensors and your alarm... trial and error. And eventually, you'll be a whiz at it 1990 eclipse, dei 504d - Page 2 -- posted image.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

Just installed a DEI 507M Tilt Sensor and 504D Shock sensor on my 2008 xB with OE security controller.  The Tilt is working just fine, but the Shock, though velcro mounted, seems much less sensitive than the one I just installed in my Eclipse.

They are both mounted in roughly the same location, but whereas the Eclipse sensor has its back vertically attached, the xB sensor is attached flat on its back.  Even with the xB sensor sensitivity set to max, the Eclipse sensor dialed pretty well back from max is clearly the more sensitive to external shock.  I'm trying to figure out if this is due to a difference in vibration/shock damping in the xB relative to the Eclipse (probably at least partially true), or if the xB Shock sensor is just less sensitive?  Anybody have any experience with this sensor and the 2nd Gen xB?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic