2006 dodge ram security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2006ramcrazy 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Here are programming instructions from an earlier post :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~93511~KW~astroflex~PN~0~TPN~2

The last entry lists the steps required.   It looks the same as adding a new key, but in this case the "key" is the bypass unit.  Hope that helps.

Thank you,
Yes, that is exactly what I have done like 20 times now..... I put first key in and turn on, when security goes out I put second key in and turn it on, I wait 30 seconds until I hear the chime indicating it's entered program mode....I then put the key with the remote taken out in and turn it on holding the bypass against the key/ignition cylinder. When I put the third key in (with the bypass along side), the Security light blinks and never stops blinking...According to my service manual it should blink for 30 seconds, stop and go solid, and chime indicating programs complete..
Mine never stops blinking on the bypass program.... I kept the key on for like 10 minutes and it continued to blink
I'm thinking that there may be something wrong with the bypass
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2010 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
To verify its a bypass problem, you could try a remote start with a working key held against the ignition lock cylinder.
it does remain running if I remote start it with a key in the ignition. Take the key out...even half way, and it shuts off.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  

try disconnecting the GROUND WHEN RUNNING (status wire) into the bypass, try programming then reconnect it.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

try disconnecting the GROUND WHEN RUNNING (status wire) into the bypass, try programming then reconnect it.

Ok I'll try it.....but I was under the assumption based on the picture that is on the instructions that the bypass gets programed while completely unplugged....Just like you would if you were adding a key....Once the truck learns the bypasses transponder code then I plug the bypass back in..
I am holding the unplugged module up to the key/ignition.
From the way I understand these keys the transponder chip doesn't need a power source to function.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I can't find an IOM-Chrysler-7 install guide to verify this, but some of those type transponder bypass modules can only be programmed once to one vehicle.  After that one time they can't be programmed again or to another vehicle. 

Was the IOM-Chrysler-7 brand new in the box? 

Maybe you already got it to program.  Have you double checked you antenna harness connection and the proper wrapping around the key cylinder? 

As a test, you could pull the guts out of a working Factory key FOB again and try starting the truck with the empty key and the IOM-Chrysler-7 module held next to it.

Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have my IOM 7 install guide and it doesn't mention anything about only being able to be programed once.
I bought The IOM 7 off ebay and the auction listed it as new. It came in a vacuum sealed bag with an unused wire harness and instructions.
It doesn't appear to have been used before.
2006 dodge ram security - Page 2 -- posted image.
I tried to start it with a empty key and the IOM up against the ignition and it starts and immediately dies.... so It's obviously not programed.
I emailed the seller and he said these things rarely if ever go out...so I'm not real sure what to think at this point.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
When you are doing the module programming procedure, do you get the chime and the flashing  Security light after the second key is in the ignition position for 10 seconds?
Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
When you are doing the module programming procedure, do you get the chime and the flashing  Security light after the second key is in the ignition position for 10 seconds?
Yes, actually the chime is closer to the 20 second mark but I do get the chime and flashing light.
I then remove the second key and immediately insert the key w/o the electronics installed and I place the IOM bypass right up against the key and ignition switch and turn it back to run....the light comes on solid for about 3 seconds and then begins blinking and remains blinking until I finally shut it off....
I left it on up to 10 minutes to see if by some chance it would program by no such luck...
I'm inclined to think I need to buy another bypass....I don't know...
all other functions (door locks, door triggers) that the by pass controls all work
kreg357 
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
An earlier post from jeremytravis might be worth a try.  It's possible that your trucks antenna ring is not picking up the bypass modules' transponder during that last programming step.
Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
An earlier post from jeremytravis might be worth a try.  It's possible that your trucks antenna ring is not picking up the bypass modules' transponder during that last programming step.
That is quite possible.... I planned on trying his idea tomorrow. It rained here all day so I couldn't mess with it.
To clarify...The IOM should not need to be plugged in during programing correct?
Thanks for trying to help me. Appreciate it.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic