the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2006 dodge ram security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

While I don't have the IOM-Chrysler-7 install manual, I believe that is correct.  You are to hold the module ( with no harnesses plugged in ) against the stripped key that's inserted into the cylinder and turned to IGN,  to program it.

If you open up the bypass module box you should see the little transponder (pill) inside.  That area should be held closest to the trucks ring.

Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
jeremytravis wrote:

I must say that programing the bypass module for this vehicle is tricky!, the last one I did I had to take apart the bypass module and take off the immobilizer ring and hold the corner of the bypass module in the ring just to get it programed!

thank you...I'm going to try this tomorrow.
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

While I don't have the IOM-Chrysler-7 install manual, I believe that is correct.  You are to hold the module ( with no harnesses plugged in ) against the stripped key that's inserted into the cylinder and turned to IGN,  to program it.

If you open up the bypass module box you should see the little transponder (pill) inside.  That area should be held closest to the trucks ring.

Ok thanks.... Yeah I took mine apart yesterday and the transponder is a black or charcoal looking "Pill" as you put it right? that's what I was holding up against the ring.... I'll try taking it apart tomorrow and seeing if I can get it to program....
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
I followed jeremytravis's method and still no luck. I took the ring off and took the board out of the IOM case and I held the transponder pill right up against the inside of the ring.... Nothing, it just continued blinking until I finally shut it off after 7 minutes.
I don't know what to think anymore.
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Is there a limit to the number of keys that can be programed to the system?
I currently have three keys programed to my truck....The two original remote keys and one non-remote spare key so if one is ever lost I don't need to visit the dealer to program another.
Thanks
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
I GOT IT!!!!!
The instructions that came with the IOM DO NOT WORK....
The instructions in my Chrysler Service manual Do not work....
Here's what I did and it worked.
Insert 1st original key, count 5 seconds and remove.
Insert 2nd original key, count 7 seconds and remove.
Insert empty key with IOM next to Ignition ring and turn on ignition, the security light came on solid, flashed twice and went off. I waited 5 seconds and turned ignition off and restarted with IOM, it started and remained running....
IOM PROGRAMED!!!
What I've learned is as long as it's blinking it means that a non programed key/transponder is in the ignition.
When you turn on the ignition and the light comes on and goes back out in 2 or 3 seconds without blinking the key is accepted.
The Chime indicates it has exited program mode, Not entered it.
Thanks to everyone here that chimed in and offered assistance on this....It's been a very interesting experience and one I'd not like to do again anytime soon....Next time I'll let a pro do it... :-)
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ok new issue.....
The IOM is programed...I can verify this by starting it with a empty key and the IOM next to the ignition cylinder. Works every time..
My issue is now with the antenna or wire that came with the IOM which broadcasts the transponder code to the SKIMM ring...
It will start and remain running once, twice with no problem but then the third time I RS it dies with the security light blinking... If I go move the wire around the ring a bit it starts up fine.....
I'm including a picture of how I have the IOM antenna installed.... Please advise if this is correct. Thanks
2006 dodge ram security - Page 3 -- posted image.
2006 dodge ram security - Page 3 -- posted image.
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I have since moved the wire inside the ring to see if that helps and still the same thing...
It Remote starts off and on.... each time it shuts back off the security light is flashing.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
Usually its 3-5 wraps and placed on the key side of the ring.  Try 5 wraps and go on the outboard ( key ) side of the skimm ring.
Soldering is fun!
2006ramcrazy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:
Usually its 3-5 wraps and placed on the key side of the ring.  Try 5 wraps and go on the outboard ( key ) side of the skimm ring.
Thanks for the reply,
I moved it inside the ring this afternoon to see if it would help but it only has three wraps.... I'll increase the wraps to 5 or 6 tomorrow after I get off work if I have time... I didn't think the number of wraps made any difference but I guess it does...
Thank you.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic