Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alarep5 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  

My two cents,

With GM's,

Avoid alternative sources for tach signal. Cam sensors, fuel injectors, etc.

We get a few jobs through my shop with SES fault codes because a r/s installer tapped onto the wrong wire.

They usually come from the stereo shops in town. The usual customer comment is, "they brought it back to the installer and they say thier install info tells them where to get the tach signal from, they are not responsible for wrong information provided, see the car dealer if you have a problem with an SES light"

Don't know why the ecm/bcm reads that there is a problem on these circuits, but it does happen.

I can't think of one GM car that has a hard to get at coil or ecm/bcm wire. 

OLDSCHOOL - If the wire is there,...use it.
equate 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
hi bros
I am drunk..couple beers just now..all replies become complicated for me.
anyway, now I know fuel injector gives vary pulses, tach gives stable higher frequencies, anyway..I guess Viper or Compustar will read frequency instead voltage of AC/DC if it is tach mode.
As taught, pulses DC actually is AC, RPM is AC..so you are all right.
I would prefer tach. but some vehicles, it is difficult to get tach wire. It might be hidden under engine cover. but for this question here, I am asking how to use fuel injector for engine starting signal. I guess I understand now.
I did some imported vehicles, I used cam sensor. I used tach wire. I used generator wire sometimes..I havent tried fuel injector before. Be honest, I am not mechanical guy. I dont even know what fuel injector is.
I appreciate that I learn a lot from you experienced teahers.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
Yes - we are all "not wrong" about pulsed DC containing AC - but it depends on your definition.
If DC is "unipolar", then coils & injectors are DC since they are unipolar voltages/currents.
But that is too simple a defintion - DC does not have phase lag nor inductive spikes etc - only AC has that (where AC means a frequency not equal to zero).
But to take from the oft referred Basic Car Audio Electronics ( bcae1.com/acdc.htm) - "You should remember" (near bottom of page):
bcae wrote:
D.C. is a type of voltage which does NOT cross a point of reference at regular intervals.
(And conversely AC does.)
But that's my dash for this thread. No point arguing about whether injector pulses are AC or DC unless you define what AC and DC are.
And depending on those definitions, the answer will be different (and correct!).
The same is true of many things....
I gave the Power Factor example where PF is often defined as cosΦ so that if (fundumental) current & voltage is in phase, PF=1. (The cosine of zero-degrees is 1.)
But cosΦ may be 1 yet the PF may be 0.6 which is typical for many modern power supplies (switched-mode SMPS).
The problem is the definition of PF = cosΦ is a subset of its true definition PF = W/VA which is actually cosΦ x df where df is a distortion factor that takes into account the non-linear switching etc (eg crest factors etc).
Whether those that think pf is cosΦ only are wrong or not may not matter - until they design a power supply for an SMPS thinking cosΦ = 1 therefore the max current = peak current, and therefore their outputs blow up when the peak current is 1/0.6 = 1.67 times their expected peak.
Ah yes, I love watching tendered equipment blow up.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2010 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

I've always felt that AC means the current flow changes direction (on a regular interval).. an injector line may be pulsing its *** off, but the current direction never changes. so it's DC.

Jim

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic