icon

infinty reference series 1220de box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swissjoe 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
So I bought this infinity setup off this guy and he rigged the speakers to work just long enough to rip somebody off, which was me. He burned up the voice coils in em and got me pretty good. Anyways I put some other subs in the box which are single voice coil 4ohms and I wired it the way the infinitys were....with each pos and neg going to each post on the outside of the box. There are 2 sets of post hookups on the box.   Now the post hookups have this metal connector than u can take off that I guess allows u to run both subs off one channel by sharing the watts...my question is when I use that little metal connector is that the same as wiring my subs in parallel? U know where it drops them down to 2ohm at the amp?
swissjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2010 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
I think I figured out that is the case...since the positives are connectid and then one pos and neg going to the amp.   If this is wrong somebody let me know. Also is this the best way to wire my 4ohm svc s? Now I have a 2000w 2channel amp and I have it bridged to get the most power out of it. I tried hooking each speaker up to each channel and it doesn't sound as good. I think that's because I'm runnin in 4ohm instead of 2 right? Now I blew a fuse once because I think I had it turned up too high....I put the gain on halfway, the speakers still sound awesome and I haven't had a problem yet.   Also should I get a cap?   Any info is appreciated thanks.
porschedrifter 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2010 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Anything over 800w you need a 1.0farad cap and for your 2000w amp I would suggest a 3 farad cap.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Need some info to help.
What are your subs? brand/model#
What is your amp? Brand/model#
What fuse did you blow? Was it on the amp or else were?
What gauge Power wire are you using?
And just clarifying: you have 1 box with 2 subs in it and two speaker terminals one on each end or side? correct?
swissjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
The subs are cheap explods from wal mart...1200w max....the amp is an american legacy series 2 2000w 2ch....the fuse I blew was one of the 30amp on the amp itself....I'm using 6 ga power wire...I also now have a 2farad cap...and yes 2subs in an infinity slipstream box model 1220de. And there are 2 sets of terminals on the right side of the box with little metal connectors connecting the 2 pos and the 2 neg which I am using and have it bridged
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
porschedrifter wrote:
Anything over 800w you need a 1.0farad cap and for your 2000w amp I would suggest a 3 farad cap.
SO FALSE. You need a charging system IE ALT powerful enough for the extra demand of system. A cap is going to do nothing expect look pretty unless you can effectively charge it. Even then they don't really add anything.
infinty reference series 1220de box -- posted image.
swissjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
T does look pretty...but I haven't noticed a difference in bass response or anything...but I figure its still a good idea since I'm pushin 2000watts
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so...
1. j. reed is 100% correct and he KNOWS his auto electrical charging systems
2. I have the exact same amp but a year or so older. Its rated at 2000W MAX POWER which means that the amp might output that for a fraction of a second MAYBE. The real world power rating for that amp is probably closer to 150W X 2ch @ 4ohms RMS which is what it says in my owners manual but I even doubt that. RMS power ratings are what you should look at when buying an amplifier; which I did't know when I bought it because it was my first time and i thought it sounded like a pretty good deal. I had it powering my one infinity 12" 4 ohm DVC with both channels and it sounded pretty good because it was getting about 300w RMS which is what it was rated for.
3. Your subs are rated for 375w RMS and they are single 4 ohm VC so no matter how you connect them to that amp they will be under powered. The best way to hook them up is simply one sub to each channel of the amp giving them 150w RMS @ 4 ohms.
So one piece of speaker wire from the terminal on one sub to one terminal on the inside of the box, and another piece of wire from that terminal to one of the two channels on the amp. Repeat for the other sub using the other terminal on the box and the other channel on the amp.
4. As for the fuse you blew, it was probably from running the amp bridged @ 2 ohms which the amp cant handle that load bridged so don't use those metal connectors between the two terminals on the box, just hook it up the way i said above unless you want to kill your amp so you can get a new one.
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2010 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
bridging that amplifier at 2 ohms is BAD. you WILL damage the amplifier, since you are overloading. Run them in stereo.
swissjoe 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2010 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Well I tried hooking each speaker to each channell and it sounds nowhere near as good.....so ill just leave it bridged since I got the amp cheap anyways I'm not worried about damaging it....butusing the metal connectors and bridging it is dropping it to 2 ohms right?   Which means is boosts the power of the amp as long as it can handle it....I got the gain like halfway up, they pound and I haven't had any problems sinced I turned the gain down....the amps gets pretty hot but the guy I bought it from cut a square in the top glass panedl and hooked a computer fan up to it and that seems to keep it cool enough on the inside. As for the rms of the amp, how the hell can it say 2000w but it really only output 175 per channel? And if that's the case then how many watts are my subs really gettin bridged at 2ohms?   Maybe 400? Its my understanding that dropping the ohms from 4 to 2 basically double the output...the from 2 to 1 doubles it again....I also know that u HAVE. To have a 1 ohm stable amp to do that....so why isn't my amp stable at at least 2ohm?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic