icon

need generic window security decals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

I've finished my Eclipse and Scion xB security extensions and they're working well.  However, I understand a key theft prevention item is non-manufacturer-specific window decals.  I can fly with the ones already on the xB windows, but I still need something for the Eclipse.  I want absolutely no details on the decal, just acknowledgement that a security system is installed.

Anybody know of any suitable generic low-key interior-mount window decals?  (I looked on Ebay, but saw nothing interesting :(!)

TIA -- Trevor

PS.  Preferred size is on the order of 1" x 2" -- don't want 3x5 billboards in my windows!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

just slam on a compustar sticket lol, i wouldnt bother stealing one if it had that or think about stealing since im not like that...or am i lol

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2010 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

There're some interesting guidelines out there as to how to make a car less inviting to the potential thief.  I've gone through a couple of them and they're pretty consistent.  It seems that specifying the alarm manufacturer tends to provide a key to circumventing it.  So, when applying window decals, it's actually best not to advertise the alarm system manufacturer, despite the manufacturer's wishes to the contrary, of course :)!

My purpose is just to inform the would-be thief a system is installed, it's nature being undisclosed.  It just seems really hard to find stickers that don't imbellish with info that's probably bogus -- though it sounds good if you don't know any better.  My guess would be the typical thief would know better.

I've run across this selection of decals, anybody else find any interesting possibilities?

http://www.rcsdecals.com/default.asp?SID=xZW7NZANZU2J6KTYGSFLV2&S=500&A=F&SearchText=&CategoryID=66940&NID=2913655

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2010 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
This one gets my vote! need generic window security decals -- posted image.
need generic window security decals -- posted image.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2010 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Still prefer a large very live German Shepherd, damn I had an 8 month old massive monster recently but forgot that my last one was 25 years ago and you forget the joy of training, 1 week = 1 driver's seat belt, 1
sky + remote, carpets, corner of wall, stolen chopped liver sandwich,etc etc etc . He won.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

Great responses guys :)!  I suppose Rottweiler's, Dobermans and Pitbulls would also work, though they'd probably be no easier on their environment (ie. my stuff :().

Another thing I was wondering about was decal location.  Normal seems to be roughly 8mm from the bottom right of the front window frames.  Only problem with that is they tend to disappear if the windows are at all open.  Are the rear side windows (quarter windows on a 2-door) a better alternative, or is that front window location considered it?

PS. Howie,  just wanted to let you know I installed two DEI 507M and no problems exhibited (used GWA for initializing).  Only the first one I purchased was a problem, it was always drawing trigger current and so I exchange it.  The other two have been active whenever parked, both at default settings (I checked with a jack, and they're at least reasonably close to one degree sensitivity, I definitely couldn't remove a wheel with the modest lift I get before they fire).  One install was longitudinal, the other was lateral.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
I always go for the rear 1/4 light, it's the one they usually try and smash, if it's a convertible, then front windows behind lock push.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
I always go for the rear 1/4 light, it's the one they usually try and smash

Wow -- they do, do they :(!  Think I'll follow your lead and put them directly above the tempered glass marker at bottom front of my rear quarters.  There're already a couple OE decals following them (or maybe I'll just replace those -- a "DSM OK" decal on the driver's side and a "Protected by Sentry Care" decal on the other).

mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Stickers?...... when i break into your car at night......oops, I meant when they break into your car at night...lol....I doubt they will be paying attention to stickers. A bright blue led ( or any other hi vis color)  mounted where it can be seen at any angle, is a much better theft deterrent. IMHO
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

No doubt you're right, night attack won't be slowed by decals, unless perhaps the vehicle was checked out first in daylight.  I don't have blue LED Security lights, but both vehicles DO have a clearly visible red LED flasher inside.  I figure that if neither stickers nor flasher can dissuade a would be thief, then I'm probably out of luck.  The only other thought is if there is an aftermarket (spelt Ebay) module that pages the owner if the alarm fires.  Don't know the answer to that though :(!  Guess I'll have to do some looking around.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic