the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

need generic window security decals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2010 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah...stickers aren't gonna hurt at all. I like Twelvoltz suggestion. Any kind of visual deterrent is a bonus. Certainly, a sticker, during the day, is gonna be a much more visible theft deterrent than an led will be. There are aftermarket modules that can be tied into a factory or add on alarms that will do what you mentioned.....and much more, but will cost some money.

trevors 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
Not sure I follow you on this.  The only visual indicators I'm aware of is window decals and a flashing LED.  Now, I'm fully aware you can buy fake LED flashers, fake in that there's no security alarm behind them.  I've read that some potential thieves test the vehicle by bumping it to see if there's an alert -- mine would definitely object.  I guess I really don't understand what you're trying to say.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
Guess what very soon you are going to add more bits and you will start costing up, realising it would have been easier and cheaper to buy and install a decent brand of alarmneed generic window security decals - Page 2 -- posted image.
As a postscript agreeing with what Mikvot said, my friend and I parked our cars in a municipal underground car park in central London, whilst we went across the road to have a meal.
Yes back we came to find ours were the only 2 broken into, also the only 2 without alarms or stickers. Yes a powerful strobing LED is better than stickers, yes the villains will test to see if there's a genuine alarm, hence my first comment, you are going round the houses to arrive back at square 1!
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2010 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
mikvot wrote:
Yeah...stickers aren't gonna hurt at all. I like Twelvoltz suggestion. Any kind of visual deterrent is a bonus. Certainly, a sticker, during the day, is gonna be a much more visible theft deterrent than an led will be. There are aftermarket modules that can be tied into a factory or add on alarms that will do what you mentioned.....and much more, but will cost some money.

howie ll wrote:
Guess what very soon you are going to add more bits and you will start costing up, realising it would have been easier and cheaper to buy and install a decent brand of alarmneed generic window security decals - Page 2 -- posted image.
As a postscript agreeing with what Mikvot said, my friend and I parked our cars in a municipal underground car park in central London, whilst we went across the road to have a meal.
Yes back we came to find ours were the only 2 broken into, also the only 2 without alarms or stickers. Yes a powerful strobing LED is better than stickers, yes the villains will test to see if there's a genuine alarm, hence my first comment, you are going round the houses to arrive back at square 1!

Yeah, I see what you guys are saying.  Looking around, in order to add paging it appears I have to add a paging security controller, and seems tough to find one that doesn't include a whole kit -- all I'd really need would be the controller, antenna, and pagers. 

The Eclipse already has around $230 between KeylessEntry, HatchRelease, three DEI sensors, PiezoBuzzer, Relays, and miscelaneous parts.  For the xB, including the Scion Security accessory I installed as an early mod, it's around $300 including two DEI sensors plus parts.  I like the interior consistency of OE and prefer to preserve it.  So, unless I run across an interesting possibility for adding paging, I expect the decals and flashers will be it.

trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2010 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
FWIW -- recieved the ordered decals and installed them last night. I think they'd be fine except for one slight detail, the lettering is black and I ordered a clear background.  Having now had a chance to see them in daylight, I'm thinking white or silver lettering is required on a clear background -- would stand out MUCH better.  Given black print only, I'm now considering solid color backgrounds.
trevors 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2010 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

One last thought.  Given the heavy tinting on many cars, it may be necessary to select a decal with a relatively bright/light background in order for it to be reasonably visible through the tinted glass.  I just went with black print on a silver background for my xB rear quarter windows and although it works, it remains somewhat subtle.  I'm satisfied, but if you're installing an alarm system and plan to install decals as well, their effectiveness is something to consider.

-- :)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic