icon

dead siren output suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

Looks like a burnt resistor to me.  DEI likes to use very small resistors on their outputs to pretty much act like a fuse.  In many cases the max current going through the resistor is well over the max current the resistor can safely handle.

Try this - Test continuity between the siren output wire and both sides of the burnt component.  If you find one side is common with the siren output solder a small jumper wire to the OTHER side of the resistor and test voltage on that wire with the alarm going off.  If the wire reads 12vdc when the alarm is going off then replacing the burnt component will fix the issue.  If there isn't 12vdc on the wire you need to find what feeds that burnt component - it's most likely a pin on the right side of one of the ULN2003As

If the burnt component isn't connected to the siren output at all test resistance between the siren output pin and the pins on the ULN2003As and see if you can find what output pin drives the siren.  You may also be able to follow traces to find where the signal goes.

Kevin Pierson
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Or if your that worried about it send the unit back to DEI. Every one of their products has a lifetime warranty and will be replaced at no cost. You'd have to go without the unit for 2-3 weeks but it would resolve all the issues as easy as pie!!!
hemidak 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome information guys! Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I will post what I figure out.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
blanx they will only replace it if you are a dealer or certified dei installer
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I am both a dealer and certified installer. I send back stuff whenever needed and I'm sure there would be someone like myself in his area to do the same. There will be a shipping charge but its better than causing more wiring headaches or further damage to the unit
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic