the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

need relay wiring for defroster, seats

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
monty862 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
Could someone tell me how to correctly wire a relay for a negative trigger defroster and heated seats. I would like to have the rear defroster and heated seats be activated by the viper 5901 when needed (below 50). I've seen where some have wired directly to the defroster wire, but I think a relay would be required if triggering two seats and the defroster. Especially if latched. And I believe all three wires from the push buttons should be diode isolated with the bands toward the viper. Correct? Thanks in advance.
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
Bands on the diode towards the viper, correct.
A relay would be wired like this.
85 - status outpit
86 - 12v
30 - ground
87 - defroster outputs
monty862 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2010 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
; Thanks!  I've heard of some relays having a diode to avoid a voltage spike. I don't need one of those do I? Thanks again.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2010 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

any relay will do, you can just add a diode across the terminals later on.

the correct way of doing this is

85 - defroster output aka second status

86 - constant 12v
87 - constant 12v fused at 15 amps
30 - connect one wire off and place 2 diodes inline, bands on diodes towards relay, then from each relay, one will go to defrost, one will go to heated seats.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
monty862 
Posted: April 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Ted,  I've got two separate buttons for heated seats. One for drivers, one for passenger. Won't I have to use separate wires for each to retain individuality in normal use? And to reiterate, this is a Neg. trigger system. Doesn't one of the relay contacts have to go to ground to give it a "heavier duty" ground than the status output wire?  Thanks for the reply.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

sorry bout that. thats what happens when i post too early in the morning

85 - defroster output aka second status

86 - constant 12v
87 - chassis ground
30 - connect one wire off and place 3 diodes inline, bands on diodes towards relay, then from each diode, one will go to defrost, one will go to each of the heated seats.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic