icon

2 batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
would i be able to run one deep cycle battery in the stock location without any other batteries?
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently.... However, I should not be because my Frontier is not generating enough power to supply the upgraded system and the vehicle's normal operating draw. Deep Cycle is a method in which energy is utilized. How do you plan to use your energy? Multimedia systems take advantage of Deep Cycle energy, but any system type can find a use for it. Your question is a easy YES. The real question should be- "should you be"?
This is what I do for FUN!
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I take that back.... I may be fine running the system after the Alt upgrade. I am changing the batt because I will want a higher level of current available to me than what I am capable of now...
This is what I do for FUN!
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2010 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Deep cycle batteries are not suited for cranking (2 different construction methods).
But if you can change starters - ie, I have a reduction starter that draws ~140A instead of the standard >250A.
And obviously if the deep cycle is much larger than the original cranker, it may be ok. EG - my battery shop recommended a 780CCA 100AH twin-terminal for crank & deepcycle - though that was a wet/flooded battery; apparently very popular with the 4WDers (~AUD$180 versus a typical 55AH 480CCA for $120).
But the same old problem - even though a deep cycle as the main battery may last longer because it handles greater discharge depth - what happens if it is too discharged to crank & start the engine?
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2010 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
so, really i could run a deep cycle, but its just not too great of an idea, but running two batteries i know the two should be matched, so then the stock one would be a deep cycle, so is two deep cycle better than one?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2010 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
It's more like if you run two batteries, they should NOT be paralleled.
If you do, as soon as one fails, so does the other.
And despite my simplistic "double failure rate" model, the reality is a yet greater failure rate due to the constant albeit tiny interactions between the paralleled batteries.
Hence why (permanently) paralleled batteries should be matched. Taking that to its ultimate means same battery batch, housed adjacently at the same temperature with matched diagonal connections (ie, matched + & - interconnection, and +ve output from one battery and -ve/GND from the other).
By doing that, you merely double the unreliability (for a 2 battery system) - ie, you have removed external sources of imbalance that cause mismatching of the batteries behaviour.
(By placing one in the boot, you introduce temperature hence charge & discharge mismatches, plus whatever cable & load inequalities exist.)
Now, if you want what most people seem to want - namely two independent batteries that are charged together, none of the above apply.
Two independent batteries are used when the user wants assurance that they always have a cranking battery etc.
The second battery may simply be a spare for emergencies, or to power loads like audio systems, refrigerators, light shows, computers etc.
Either battery can die and it won't effect the other (within reason!).
When the vehicle begins charging, the otherwise independent batteries are connected to the charger - ie, paralleled and connected to the charger.
Other than voltage and hence usually type - eg, 12V lead-acid - they do not have to be matched as none of the "discharging each other" conditions apply. Have a charging 1.2AH paralleled with a 1000AH - whether AGM, gel or wet cell - it doesn't matter.
All other issues are the normal ones of sizing and practical considerations. EG - current limiting of charge if required, how stressed a battery type/size is (eg, deep-cycle cranking), etc - but these are normal considerations independent of how batteries are connected.
Many multi-battery vehicles hence retain their main cranking battery and use deep-cycles for their others.
Although I intend to do the same, when my main cranker expires, I will probably use deep cycle for all batteries assuming I install my "parallel whilst cranking" bypass (which involves an extra 2 cranking relays, or one with extra starter cable). Hence I share the cranking burden across at least 2 deep cyclers with hopefully no worse than a 1:2 current split.   
Excluding sulphation and (hence?) exercise considerations, the less the current (magnitude) demand placed on a battery, the longer the battery survives.
Hence car batteries are usually "rated" to last 3 years or thereabouts. I tend to get more than 6 years from them (despite my abuse and 40-45 year old vehicles!!)
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
wait, i reread that a few times and am i kind of confused about what your saying
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
I'm too fast on the paradiddles am I?
It's yet another paraphrasing of my usual blurb.
Re-read. Ignore what you don't understand. Ensure you are at ease with what you understand and go with that.
Ignore the additional background information - it is only there to help explain else justify the big picture.
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
ok man, so would it work just to series the batteries?
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
No.
2 series 12V batteries is 24V.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic