06 altima remote start issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrstocks 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Help,
I am adding a Remote Start unit to an 06 Altima with a Factory Security System. I got everything wired and when I tested the start, it started and immediately shut down. I did not use the Tach sense wire, could that be the problem, or could it be the fact that the transponder bypass loop is not in a good position around the key tumbler and factory transponder?
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

Some questions...

What brand/model of R/S system?  Does it do tachless and does it need to be programmed to do tachless?

Did you connect to both Starter1 (BLACK/ Red) and Starter2 (BLACK / YELLOW) at the ignition?

Does the car remote start with a working key in the ignition ( but not turned )?

Any Security Light on the dash?

Soldering is fun!
mrstocks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Some questions...

What brand/model of R/S system?  Does it do tachless and does it need to be programmed to do tachless?

Did you connect to both Starter1 (BLACK/ Red) and Starter2 (BLACK / YELLOW) at the ignition?

Does the car remote start with a working key in the ignition ( but not turned )?

Any Security Light on the dash?

The System is the DEI Ready Remote 24921. Using the tach is optional and only needs to be programmed if the tach option is used. I did wire up both Starter wires and it will work if I have the key in the ignition and turned on and it will keep trying once the vehicle has started causing it to grind the starter. I dont recall a security light on the dash.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
I think instead of a light that says "security," the Altima has a little picture of a a car that's a red flashing light in the instrument cluster.
Regardless, what are you using to interface with your Altima's anti-theft immobilizer?
mrstocks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
I think instead of a light that says "security," the Altima has a little picture of a a car that's a red flashing light in the instrument cluster.
Regardless, what are you using to interface with your Altima's anti-theft immobilizer?
I dont recall that light either. I am using a DEI 556U with the key inside. The key is good, I used it to start the car before placing it in the box. My main concern was about the transponder loop on the 556U. It pretty much goes right on top of the factory one on the ignition switch. Is it fine that way, or should I hard wire into the factory transponder ring wires?
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

The 556u antenna ring should be placed in front of the factory receiver ring ( on the key side ) not on top of it.   The jumper can be set for Mode 1 ( 18 windings ) for Asain cars although Mode 2 ( 60 windings ) is more sensitive. 

Only three wires are connected.  Red goes to +12v constant.  Black goes to ground.  Blue goes to the 24921's thin Blue wire, (-) Status Output.  If you are using the (-) Status Output for something else too, you should diode isolate.

There seems to be some conflicting info on your cars wiring.  Bulldog Security says 1 IGN wire, 2 Starter wires and 2 ACC wires.  AudioVox says two of each.  Your R/S only supplies 1 ACC, 1 Starter and 2 IGN outputs.  I would suggest using the computer friendly test light or a DMM and checking your car.  You will need some relays to get everything powered up.  The Install Guide for the 24921 is pretty good for relay info.

I have had some problems with the Ready Remotes in Tachless mode.  I remember a Ford that would start, then turn off and then start again.  It would give up after three attempts.  It didn't grind the starter.  It is usually best to run in Tach mode.  On your car, go to any Fuel Injector or Ignition Coil and connect to the non-common wire.  You can test with a DMM set to A/C.  You should see a 1 to 6 volt signal that rises with RPM's.

Here is the wiring info from AudioVox:

WIRE                                            COLOR                           POLARITY                                                   LOCATION 

Battery                                        GREEN                             (+)                                             IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Ignition 1                                    RED                                   (+)                                            IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Ignition 2                                    BLACK/ RED                     (+)                                            IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Accessory 1                               RED                                   (+)                                            IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Accessory 2                               WHITE/ BLUE                    (+)                                           IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Starter 1                                     BLACK/ RED                      (+)                                            IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Starter 2                                     BLACK / YELLOW               (+)                                           IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS 
 Anti-Theft Type  NISSAN NVIS® VEHICLE IMMOBILIZER 
 Anti-Theft Descript  THE KEY SENDS AN RF SIGNAL TO THE BCM MODULE THROUGH AN ANTENNA LOCATED AROUND THE IGNITION CYLINDER 
 Key Sense                                 BLACK/ RED                       (+)                                          AT BCM MODULE BEHIND LEFT SIDE OF DASH NEAR FUSE PANEL 
                                                                                                                                                     PIN #37 
 Neutral Safety                          GREEN/ RED                       (-)                                          AT ECM MODULE  ABOVE PASSENGER FOOTWELL  

Tachometer   
   THE VEHICLE TACHOMETER SIGNAL IS SENT THROUGH A DATABUS LINE - YOU MUST USE A CRANKSHAFT OR CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR OR A FUEL INJECTOR SIGNAL WIRE. 
 Crankshaft Sensor  WHITE  (AC)  AT ECM MODULE BEHIND GLOVEBOX ABOVE PASSENGER FOOTWELL 
   PIN #71 
 Camshaft Sensor  WHITE  (AC)  AT ECM MODULE BEHIND GLOVEBOX ABOVE PASSENGER FOOTWELL 
   PIN #62  
  Parking Lights                  RED / BLUE                       (+)                                          AT POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER UNDER HOOD 
   ALSO IN HARNESS IN DRIVER SILL PLATE HARNESS 
 Brake Lights                      RED / GREEN                   (+)                                           AT SWITCH ABOVE BRAKE PEDAL 
 Reverse Lights                 GREEN / WHITE                (+)                                          IN DRIVERS DOOR SILL HARNESS 
 Horn                                    GREEN / WHITE                (-)                                           IN HARNESS AT STEERING COLUMN 
 Anti Theft RX  BLUE/RED  (DATA)  AT IMMOBILIZER CONTROL UNIT IN STEERING COLUMN 
 Anti Theft TX  WHITE/ BLUE  (+)  AT IMMOBILIZER CONTROL UNIT IN STEERING COLUMN 
 Rear Defrost                        RED

And to answer the un-asked question -  No, you can't make the Parking Lights stay on constant while running in remote start, they will only blink.

Soldering is fun!
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Ok....here is the easy way to test. Remove the ring from the cylinder. Place the key in the ignition cylinder, and then remote start the car. If the car stays running, then it's a bypass issue. If it reacts the same way, then it will most likely be a tach issue.

kreg357 
Posted: April 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
With the above test from mikvot, do not turn the key, just insert it.  You only want the cars immobilzer antenna to see the keys transponder chip signal.  You don't want to power up any ignition wires by turning the key, the R/S should do all of that ( if connected properly ).
Soldering is fun!
mrstocks 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you all. I get the car back tomorrow. I will try to run the Tach wire and hopefully achieve some better results. I will keep you all posted.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic