icon

what will be louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilcubano86 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
what do you think would be louder, right now i have 8 12" old school earthquakes in a giant blow thru into my caprice. power by 2 clarion 1550's and it slams. Well i came across 10 10" kicker CVX's the new round squares and id like to put them in the same designed box powered by 2 MMATS 3000.1's. my question is would the 10 10's be significantly louder than my 10 year old earthquakes, or should i re think what i'm about to do. meaning go buy 8 new 12"s or throw my 10 10's in?? i also looked at the difference in HZ levels of the new cvx 10's and 12's the 10's drop to 24hz and the 12's drop to 20hz so will it really be a big difference in the depth of the bass?? and not to mention i already have 10 10's so should i just put them in or re think my idea?? Please respond im trying to get as much info and opinion i can before i tear my car apart!what will be louder? -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
so...what do you do, go on every forum and get about a hundred opinions just for the hell of it?  Just do it.  Nike had the right idea.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
lilcubano86 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
not really smart guy, n what do you do just post your 5000 posts just to mess with people, dont you have anythings better to do? i don't wanna have to spend an extra 3 grand or so thats why, i already have the 10 10's but if it still isn't gonna hit as hard as my 8 12's i don't wanna waste my time so therefore this would be the best way to ask from others past experience i got a system that u wouldn't believe! and this is where i'm stuck at, so if u don't have one then keep to yourself
lilcubano86 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont have an opinion that is, why post??
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
Because I can.  But I hear you, and good luck. 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah Steve! lilcubano stated he didn't want to waste HIS time to why are you?
You should know it is much easier specifying the volumes, materials & system involved to get the final dynamics than fitting the damned things.
Then you only need to fit them to confirm if the theory and other opinions were correct - just in case they happen to be louder.
So next time you have an opinion that isn't considered to be an opinion, keep it to yourself. Maybe then you too would only have a few posts.
As if posters are smart enough to define the scope of opinions sought, or that ripping apart a car takes more effort than what will be spent on replies and further clarification.
Steve - I hope you fully understand my opinion. (Everybody has a right to my opinion.)
stevdart 
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  

Number 5,756 in your honor, oldspark!  what will be louder? -- posted image.

But I still don't know what will be louder....

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Old school or not, if the old 12's were operating properly, than actually hearing a louder sound from the 10's should be extremely difficult... A meter might tell you that the pressure is higher, but the difference might not equate to the time, energy and cash.
To make the change because you want something different and you have the money to burn, is a whole other story.
1 thing I can promise you! Your 10-10's in the trunk of a caprice, would easily be blown away by the 2-JLW13's in my bro's accord. He has a fully fiberglass insulated interior and the Zapco cube. He puts 4-15's in SUV's to shame. People dont realize the value of a properly acoustically designed interior of a vehicle. He spent $5k on a amp and 2 subs.... FOR A REASON!
I say these words as a means of understanding, in no way am I trying to ridicule or demean what your trying to do here... May I ask a favor in return? Can you tell me how your going to generate the power for your 10-10's? I know the amps your using... How?
This is what I do for FUN!
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
There are WAY to many variables to even give you an educated guess here. We don't know the model number of the old subs or amps, the actual specs of the enclosure or the config, power up grades you have or intend to imply ect, ect.
Are you looking for louder to the ear?
Louder to the mic?
Are you wanting a one note wonder?
Are you wanting a low hitting shake the earth setup?
What kind of results are you seeing?
What is the result you are trying to achieve?
You have left WAY TOO many variables for ANYONE to even get close to a good answer. Even with the few questions i just pointed out. There are still MANY MANY variables to get though before anything close could even be assumed as the better way to go.
stevdart had the right idea truthfully. The only way to find out with the LIMITED info we have is for you to "just do it". Right now there is no telling if you would see better or worse results.
what will be louder? -- posted image.
diskdrivex 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
agreed with the above post, not enough info to really tell you, but one thing in can tell you is your cone surface area diff.
the 8 12s are giving you 904ci of cone area
the 10 10s get you 785ci
so to really dumb this down, your 12s get you more surface area, and are hitting lower freq most likely, so turning my brain off for the most part and assuming the subs are comparable to each other, and assuming your powering them both comparably, my first thought would be the 12s.
on the other hand if this is for anything other than competition (and i hope this is for competition) then i would say your so far into the realm of "what the hell" that it shouldnt matter. and i also have to agree with ianarian, they make better subs for a reason, there is no reason anyone should need more than 2 subs (other than maybe for show or competition). its like having $100 in your wallet but wanting it in all $1s, it looks like more, but its still only $100
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic