icon

smoking amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mike-e209 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2010 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Amp started smoking a lot! Power fuse by batery is still ok and the 3 30amp fuses inside the amp are still ok too.
2002 cadillac cts
amp- Arc Audio KAR1000.2
subs- 2 12" Pioneer champion series DVC 4ohm
OEM head unit
RCA output source - 2ch H/L converter
For my H/L converter I used the stock woofer in the trunk, the problem is I needed 2 sets of wires for the HL converter but only had the one sub so I hooked up both left n right channels to the one sub ( that one sub is supplying both left and right channels of the H/L , hope that makes sence)
speakers are wired parrellel 2 ohms each. I connected them to the amp to seperate channels. The gain is about 3/4. I noticed the the first day that wen playing the music: the subs smelled like they wer burning. A week later one day the amp would stop playing and start up again wen playing loud. The next day wen driving to work the bass sounded awkward so trned up the volume then it all stoped. Amp began pouring out large amount of smoke and never worked again.
Opened ip the amp and seen a capacitor blew up completely. And looks like a few other components are melted ( I think) all fuses ok.
What was my cause for this?
Is my RCA source a problem?
How to prevent this from happening again? Thanks in advance
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

mike-e209 wrote:

1. What was my cause for this?

2. Is my RCA source a problem?
3, How to prevent this from happening again? Thanks in advance

1.  Could be many different answers for this one.  Most common is a the left leg of one of the Mosfet power supply transistors broke from vibration. When the gate leg breaks, the Mosfet turns itself on at full throttle, this in turn will take itself out and destroy the others that are paralleled with it.

2. I highly doubt that your RCAs could cause this problem.

3.  Without knowing what caused your problem, this one is very hard to answer.

If you take the amp apart, you should be able to see if the left leg of one of the FETs had broken from the case of the transistor.  Look closely at the one that is the most damaged.

ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2010 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
Did you buy this amp new? A Arc amp lasted 1 week? Bad ground. A poor speaker connection.
This is what I do for FUN!
mike-e209 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2010 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

(IAmAnIdiot) <- lol not really.

thanks for your input. that was the only possibility that i was thinking, the amp came out of a ford focus with 2 12s, so im guessing the guy probably had the amp mounted to the back of the speaker box, so my guess was a solder from the inside may have broken, just had no idea which component. i can take a picture of the inside of the amp if you would like. so you can tak a look at the inside components.

(ianarian)

the amp was not brand new. it was purchased from a friend. worked fine for him for about 8 months. sold the car so got rid of the system.

i grounded the amp to below the rear seat to the metal. used a wire brush to take off all the paint n primer.

speaker connections could definitly be a possiblitiy inside the speaker box to the speaker. the connections are not too good and the wire was fairly thin.

i am an idiot 
Posted: May 03, 2010 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

A bad speaker connecton would increase the impedance of the final load.  This would be easier on the amp. 

Yes a broken solder joint could cause this too.  It would have to be on the leftmost leg of the transistor.  When they explode, the right side and the center usually take the grunt of it.  You should be able to see a bad joint or a broken leg of the device.  Sure a pic would allow me to point out where you need to check.

boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
only thing you can do is get a new amp or get itfix
boxead78
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
A bad speaker connection in any sense. Thinking back, I believe that Arc has protection for that though. If a connection was loose, cutting in and out, is there not some form of electromagnetic irregularity that can cause excessive heat or failure? Not still in relation to this problem.... but in general?
This is what I do for FUN!
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 09, 2010 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

The bad connection I was refering to has nothing to do with electromagnetism or irregularity.  A mosfet transistor is either on or off.  This is controlled by the Gate connection.  If the gate of the FET loses it's connection from the drive input, it simply turns on wide open and will always take itself out. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic