icon

went on an interview at a shop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
So I went on an interview at a local car audio shop. The guy asked me if ive ever done "certain" installs and me being honest said no. The whole reason why I didnt get hired is because of that and I wouldnt be able to get the installs done on time. I was being respectful and didnt argue with the guy. But just because ive never done it, doesnt mean I cant. What do you think happens when a brand new year vehicle comes into a shop. Most likely you will need to figure it out especially if the wiring is different than the previous years. You think he just said that as another way of saying "I dont wanna hire you"? I know what im capable of, but I figured id ask the 12 volt for opinions/thoughts.
dman007 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I think if you said that to the hiring guy, he might have changed his mind. You want to show him that are able to adapt, and have the background know how, to do so.
For instance, if its the first time working on a brand new car, and you don't have the wiring sheet. And was asked to find a viable parking light wire, armed with a test probe where would you look first.
-Drivers Kick Harness going to the rear.
Why? because those parking lights in the rear need to be getting there power from somewhere.
DTS Performance
St Petersburg, FL
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2010 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm....good point. Well I have another interview soon, so hopefully this one will go better.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
I've never hired anybody, but, i've been hired! And it will depend on the shop's owner and his standards, he would know why he would have asked certain questions so that he could feel you out, maybe you just didn't seem to suit to his liking, so, try again, good luck! And as you did before, be honest!
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
i would put together a portfolio of your installs and atleast you can show what you CAN do and where you are as an installer. 
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
unless you are slamming radio after radio into cars, most installs are not going to be the same anyway.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2010 at 4:21 AM / IP Logged  
t&t tech wrote:
And as you did before, be honest!
Although I agree, I would explain that as "never lie nor be dishonest...", BUT!...
That doesn't mean be Modest.
Nor does it mean you can't reply "(No, but) I do NOT see why I should have any difficulty doing it".
IMO that is ok - unless it is dishonest.
I could describe my "revolutionary" CV/Resume upgrade...
But in short - would they be better off hiring you than some other?
If yes, then you are doing them a disservice by not getting yourself hired....
And don't think you cannot go back later and say "hey - I think I sold myself short", or stuffed up etc. Most won't. And IMO a great employer will want the unconventional, the determined, & those wanting to close of unfinished business or "not quite right" work. If that is taken the wrong way etc - would you really want to work for them??
(But that's those 3 employers, as to the other 0.xy billion... LOL!)
And long live Functional Resumes/CVs - I never looked back!
Best wishes.
(Rem to self - godd dan is Good Dan... honest.)
godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2010 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  

nismo542 wrote:
i would put together a portfolio of your installs and atleast you can show what you CAN do and where you are as an installer. 

I did show up to the interview with a portfolio. But I dont have all of my work in it. Its just a small sample. I dont think the guy wanted to hire me as soon as I walked in. I dont know....just got that feeling. I dressed correctly for an interview and everything.

topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Best advice, show up again with your tools in your car and say "your hiring and i need a job"

Ask him if he will allow you to do some installs for free to try you out. Tell him he wont regret hiring you

godd dan it 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2010 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
topinstaller200 wrote:

Best advice, show up again with your tools in your car and say "your hiring and i need a job"

Ask him if he will allow you to do some installs for free to try you out. Tell him he wont regret hiring you

Hmm...thats a new idea. I dont think I would try it at that shop, but maybe another one. Now the problem is I cant find anyone who is hiring in my area.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic