icon

alpine 9887 blown ouput

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all.....  was just getting ready to hook up the last part of my active system.  Was running the REAR / HIGH output of the HU to a MTX 282 in 3 way or 2.2 Mode.  Come to find out.....  NOTHING.......  well almost nothing..........  If I turn the HU up almost all the way  (Say, 28 out of 30)......  I can hear a real faint signal coming from the tweets.

I then moved the whole thing from the 282 back to channels 3 and 4 of the PDX 4100 after UN Bridging it........  Still no output for the tweets,,,,  Just that faint signal.

I have done just about all the diags that I can......

1. Switched RCA to make sure the tweets are wired up correctly......  Yep

2. Tested the full length JL Audio Quad RCA to make sure it didn’t get nipped during setup......  both channels work fine when hooked up to HU FRONT / MIDRANGE output.

3. Switched the HU back to 4 way or 4.2 mode.......  Still no output from the HIGH / REAR Channel.....  Moved the RCA for the rear to the front / mid......  and the tweeters got a small dose of full range.......  Power was kept REALLY LOW.....

SO.....  Short of some F'ed up setting in the HU that shuts off.....  puts out a really low output .......etc.

I THINK THE OUTPUT IS BLOWN.......  This leads me down a road for HELP.

Talked with J. Reed via Ventrillo, and he said that  I AM an IDIOT may be able to help out with some thoughts on.......

1. How to fix the output myself...

2. What to look for........

3. Having Idiot fix it........

4. Having Anyone you all in the forums know fix it.........

Really a bummer at this stage of the game in going active to find out that the channel doesn’t work.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

PS.....  I purchased this HU 1/19/08......

Any further info needed....  I am here to help getting help.

Licto......

licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to whoever fixed my post....  you can delete this also if you would like.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 4:26 AM / IP Logged  
Did you get your problem figured out?  Does that unit have the Ai-net switch on the bottom cover?  If so, make sure it is in the NORM position.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

I went out this AM to check and make sure the unit is in fact at the NORMAL position........

NO change in the HIGH / REAR output.......  bummer.

i am an idiot 
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
What is the full model number?  I need to look at the manual.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 15, 2010 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

The output chip on that radio is defeatable via the menu.  Have you checked that yet?

licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
If you are talking about the POWER IC chip for the onboard Amplifier........  it has been off for some time.  I have only ever used the Pre outs off of this deck.  The Pre out mids / front work fine......  it is the Pre out or low level out for the Rear / High that I am having a problem with.  Very Very low level signal is coming out,,,  I have to turn the deck up to almost max to hear a small squeak of a signal from the tweeters......
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
What are the chances that a power wire touched the center pin of the RCA cable at the amplifier?  I still do not know how it happens, but I have seen the muting transistors short and cause the same exact problem you are having.  I have no idea where they are located on that deck, but they will be very near the RCA jacks.  They may be on the top or the bottom of the circuit board.  Follow the path that connects to the center connection of one of the jacks in question, It may go through a capacitor but it should go to a small surface mount device with 3 solder connections.  If you find that device use a meter and check to see if any leg shows near a dead short to any other leg of the device.
licto 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Thank god the problem is solved.........  Turns out that when you switch the unit from 4.2 to 2.2, or 4 way to 3 way........  the unit likes to have the RESET button pressed.  Gets its mind refreshed and ready to do the new MODE.

Its back up and running and doing what it should with respect to managing frequencies via the ACTIVE crossover and the Rear / MID channel is putting out the sound it should.  Thanks for all the help Idiot......

Licto

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic