Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  
Meh, snipped the diode, no effect.
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like you tapped into a source that is not a true 12V.
you may have possibly tapped into the cold side of another relay.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
smashpdx 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
91stt wrote:
sounds like you tapped into a source that is not a true 12V.
you may have possibly tapped into the cold side of another relay.
Doesn't look like it, but here's what I've got.
The constant +12V is a YELLOW /GREEN wire in the driver kick panel. It comes off of fuse #11 in the passenger compartment (20A) according to the shop manual diagrams, and is in turn fed by one of the main 30A fused circuits in the main fusebox.
It's actually the same source my OEM keyless entry used to use - rather than tapping something new, figured I'd use the tap I knew had been working for the last 10 years.
I've got that tap feeding the following:
- 15A fuse --> constant +12V to Viper module (red)
- 15A fuse --> constant +12V to DEI 451M actuators (violet/black)
- 10A fuse --> constant +12V to DEI 451M relay coil (red)
           \--> constant +12V to dome relay pin 86
This is how the OEM keyless was wired, come to think of it. The only difference now is that the lock and dome relays are offboard and the module/actuator +12V sharing is via a wire nut instead of soldered under friction tape.
The +12V seems to be working just great for everything listed *except* for the dome relay. I dragged out another multimeter because of some issues with the first - don't have current readings, but if I pull the relay and put the meter across the socket contacts for 86 and 85, I now see 12V 86 --> 85 when the module is providing ground, 4V when it is not. The 12V makes sense, the 4V has me as confused as the fact that the relay just doesn't seem (apparently) to be getting enough pull-in voltage.
As an aside, I would not have expected the Viper dome supervisor wire to have +12V on it when it is *not* trying to have the lights on. Tested it separately, with the multimeter between the dome supervisor wire and ground (nothing else connected to the supervisor wire, of course) and that's what I found. I would have expected a zero reading. But I guess they designed it that way intentionally.
smashpdx 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2010 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well, it seems I had a problem with my constant +12V supply. I've resolved that, but still have the issue with the dome lamp supervision.
In further troubleshooting I've determined that:
- The dome lamp relay itself is fine, as is the relay socket wiring. +12V is appropriately getting to the coil (pin 86). When ground is applied (via socket wiring) to pin 85, the relay clicks, and my dome light comes on.
- If I insert my meter between pin 85 and the module BLACK/ white wire, I see +12V across the meter, with the appropriate polarity, when the dome lamp supervision circuit is engaged. However, current flow is negligible (0.15 mA). When the dome lamp supervision circuit is disengaged, current flow drops to flat zero, as expected. Voltage when dome lamp supervision is disengaged is down to about +0.25V.
I'm beginning to wonder if the ground that this BLACK/ white wire is supposed to supply isn't really being supplied. Clearly, something is happening, but the resistance in the module has got to be pretty high to be causing this.
Does anyone, by chance, know what the coil resistance is on a DEI 8616? On the relays I'm working with, it's 100 ohms.
smashpdx 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
Bought a DEI 8616. Dome lamp supervision circuit still shows the same problem. So... module is going back to the place I bought it for repair/replace. :(
smashpdx 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2010 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Got the module replacement and installed it - alongside installing a 200mA fuse on the dome lamp supervision wire to the module, just to be safe. No other wiring changes.
Works like a charm. :)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic