icon

one subwoofer or two?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
itzme 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone. I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger with the factory 4-speaker setup. I am upgrading my system to components up front and wanted to add a subwoofer(s). My question to you all is I will be using a Polk Audio 1100.5 amp which will deliver 600w @1ohm. I was wondering what difference in sound I would get by hooking up just one 12" subwoofer as opposed to hooking up 2 12" subwoofers? I really want good sound, but I also go to the airport a lot so I need my trunk space for luggage. Thanks for your input everyone, and if this is a stupid question I apologize in advance, haha.
cd shawn 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2010 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
It depends on your basshead addiction, & budget. If you could afford a super premium  dual voice coil 2 ohm sub that needs a tiny box, get it
My president is black,my old car was blue,I'm broke azz hell,how about you?
itzme 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Well, basically in high school I had 2 pioneer 12's, your typical Best Buy 2 for $120 or 130 deals. I had a 600w Profile amp feeding those and it hit pretty well. I dont need all that now, I just want to make sure a single 12 will still let me feel that bass in my chest. I dont need it to drop my rearview mirror in two punches, haha.
Thanks for your input shawn! Right now I am looking at getting an Alpine ASWR-1223D. Dual 2 Ohm voicecoils. I guess I will just get this unless someone chimes in and tells me it will be the biggest mistake of my life, haha
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Compared to your profile amp and last subs. The Alpine type R and that 600rms will be night and day. In a good way. You are lucky if that profile amp put out 600 MAX wattage. If that made you happy. im pretty confident you will be VERY happy with this new equipment choice.
What are you planing for enclosure? What room are you allowing for the enclosure. If you can fit a ported enclosure. I would probably do that. The Type R sounds really good in one and would allow you more output potential. If you can't allow the space for a ported, then sealed it still does a very nice job.
one subwoofer or two? -- posted image.
licto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

I am currenty running a Alpine 1224 type R in a sealed enclosure in my Exploder.......  Internal volume of the box is 13 X 13 X 13.....  Which is 1.2 cubic feet.  Alpine recommends 1 cubic foot.  The driver takes up .8 or .76 something like that......  so I am over by .1 cubic feet.......  No big deal.  I am running a Alpine MRP-1000 at 2 ohms so the sub is getting the 1000 watts.  Well maybe somewhere in the range of 5 6 or 700 watts.  Regular alternator, no big 3 upgrade etc.....  Still have to look into all that.

If I put a test CD in run 50 or 60 HZ........  it gets down and grinds.

But, Reed is going to design me a port box for it some time soon.  I am going to give that shot as he comments.....  Type R really like the ported enclosure.  I really tried to go the musical route with this sub enclosure being sealed, but I am going to try a ported to see if it will blend a little better at lower volumes.

itzme 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I was just planning on buying a Scosche SE12 enclosure off of Amazon. It's like $35 shipped. That will provide 1.25 ft^3 of airspace. However it is a sealed enclosure. I know Alpine reccomends 1 cubic foot, so should I just toss some polyfill in it?
cd shawn 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
if i remember correctly, polyfil makes your sub think it's in a bigger box. someone correct me if im wrong. that little bit of overage in box size won't do no harm.
My president is black,my old car was blue,I'm broke azz hell,how about you?
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

itzme wrote:
I was just planning on buying a Scosche SE12 enclosure off of Amazon. It's like $35 shipped. That will provide 1.25 ft^3 of airspace. However it is a sealed enclosure. I know Alpine reccomends 1 cubic foot, so should I just toss some polyfill in it?

Is that "1.25 ft^3 of airspace" AFTER the sub is installed? After the sub is in you may just be spot on for the right q.

Skip the polyfil.

I know just enough to be dangerous. VERY dangerous.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic