icon

Passkey III

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2010 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
Have you checked the fuses on the right side of the dash. The Passkey system have two 10 amp fuses.
You can also check the wiring at the PK3 module that you removed.
The orange should have power at all times.
The pink wire should only have power in run and start.
The reprogram procedure from the manual is as follows:
manual wrote:
PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM AUTO LEARN PROCEDURE
NOTE: PASS-Key(R) III system auto learn procedure must be performed if all keys are lost, or Powertrain Control Module (PCM), PASS-Key(R) III module, ignition lock cylinder, steering column assembly or ignition key are replaced. A password is communicated between PASS-Key(R) III module and PCM to provide engine operation. If PCM is replaced, the PCM must learn password from PASS-Key(R) III module.
1. Insert a valid mechanical coded unlearned ignition key in ignition switch. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light will flash once per second for 10 minutes for length of auto learn timer.
2. When auto learn timer expires and SECURITY indicator light turns off, turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove ignition key. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 two more times. Insert newly learned ignition key in ignition switch.
4. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light should remain off to indicate ignition key was learned. This will be the only learned key. To program more keys, see PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE . If SECURITY indicator light does not remain off, repeat procedure.
PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE
NOTE: PASS-Key(R) III system quick learn procedure is used to learn additional ignition keys. A learned key must be used to initiate procedure. Up to 10 ignition keys can be learned.
1. Insert a valid ignition key into ignition switch. Turn ignition on. After a 2-second bulb test, turn ignition off and remove key.
2. Within 10 seconds, insert new valid mechanical code unlearned key and turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light will illuminate until key is learned. This may happen so quickly light illumination is not observed. Turn ignition off. Remove ignition key 10 seconds after light turns off.
3. To learn additional keys, repeat step 2 . To exit procedure, turn ignition off for more than 10 seconds.
The procedure I have specifies to wait 10 seconds before turn on the next key and not within that time.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
bobby_w 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2010 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply,
I have had no luck getting this to learn the new key. The security light never goes out in the relearn process. This thing has a little multifunction display so when you turn it on the display switches from Battery to Security. If you open the door, it will include Door Ajar between Battery and Security. I did not try removing the key. In the process that I used, it says not to exceed 10 seconds while off. Seams to be a few differ versions of this process, I dont know which one is correct. Since it take 30 minutes with each attempt, it gets old fast. Some procedures say the light will turn on solid some say it will turn off. I have no way of knowing if its on steady of not with this display. I guess Ill just have to keep trying different procedures and see what if I can get it.
On thing I did notice last time I was messing with it was that after some time with the key turned on I could here the injectors clicking. I wonder if that means something. I was going to make a remote start button tomorrow and try starting it when I here the injectors start clicking.
Stay tuned, the saga of the 2000 Venture will continue.
Bob
bobby_w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
91stt wrote:
Have you checked the fuses on the right side of the dash. The Passkey system have two 10 amp fuses.
You can also check the wiring at the PK3 module that you removed.
The orange should have power at all times.
The pink wire should only have power in run and start.
The reprogram procedure from the manual is as follows:
manual wrote:
PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM AUTO LEARN PROCEDURE
NOTE: PASS-Key(R) III system auto learn procedure must be performed if all keys are lost, or Powertrain Control Module (PCM), PASS-Key(R) III module, ignition lock cylinder, steering column assembly or ignition key are replaced. A password is communicated between PASS-Key(R) III module and PCM to provide engine operation. If PCM is replaced, the PCM must learn password from PASS-Key(R) III module.
1. Insert a valid mechanical coded unlearned ignition key in ignition switch. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light will flash once per second for 10 minutes for length of auto learn timer.
2. When auto learn timer expires and SECURITY indicator light turns off, turn ignition switch to OFF position. Remove ignition key. Wait 10 seconds.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 two more times. Insert newly learned ignition key in ignition switch.
4. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light should remain off to indicate ignition key was learned. This will be the only learned key. To program more keys, see PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE . If SECURITY indicator light does not remain off, repeat procedure.
PASS-KEY(R) III SYSTEM QUICK LEARN PROCEDURE
NOTE: PASS-Key(R) III system quick learn procedure is used to learn additional ignition keys. A learned key must be used to initiate procedure. Up to 10 ignition keys can be learned.
1. Insert a valid ignition key into ignition switch. Turn ignition on. After a 2-second bulb test, turn ignition off and remove key.
2. Within 10 seconds, insert new valid mechanical code unlearned key and turn ignition switch to RUN position. SECURITY indicator light will illuminate until key is learned. This may happen so quickly light illumination is not observed. Turn ignition off. Remove ignition key 10 seconds after light turns off.
3. To learn additional keys, repeat step 2 . To exit procedure, turn ignition off for more than 10 seconds.
The procedure I have specifies to wait 10 seconds before turn on the next key and not within that time.
Its Alive !!!!
I followed this procedure and got the Security light to turn off and it learned the new key. Every time I attempted this before I had the fuses out for the head lights, it didnt like that. I put them back in and after about 11 minutes the security light went out.
But it still wont start. I had to jump the starter with a screwdriver to get it running. So what now? Where do I go from here?
Bob
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
That is odd. PKII and PKIII systems don't allow the fuel pump or injectors to fire typically, they are more then just a standard starter kill like an aftermarket alarm can provide.
So you aren't getting the security light any more like before confirming the key was learned correctly? Did you mess around with the ignition harness at all when you replaced the key-pick-up module?
The only suggestion I have is check that the starter relay is good. You could also try jumping the starter at the relay to ensure there is no wiring issues from starter to fuse/relay block. Then you need to determine the wiring path from ignition to starter relay...
For S&Gs I would pull the battery to do a power fail and then try to restart the van. This should not delete your stored keys so don't worry. If you get the security light again after removing battery power, you might have a more serious issue.
bobby_w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
awdeclipse wrote:
That is odd. PKII and PKIII systems don't allow the fuel pump or injectors to fire typically, they are more then just a standard starter kill like an aftermarket alarm can provide.
So you aren't getting the security light any more like before confirming the key was learned correctly? Did you mess around with the ignition harness at all when you replaced the key-pick-up module?
The only suggestion I have is check that the starter relay is good. You could also try jumping the starter at the relay to ensure there is no wiring issues from starter to fuse/relay block. Then you need to determine the wiring path from ignition to starter relay...
For S&Gs I would pull the battery to do a power fail and then try to restart the van. This should not delete your stored keys so don't worry. If you get the security light again after removing battery power, you might have a more serious issue.
The PK=III problem is solved. I just got back from the local dealer and he printed out all the schematics for me Passkey III - Page 2 -- posted image. Great guy...
So Im running it down now, I have power to the pcm-crank fuse and the start relay from the pcm clicks, so all is well with the computers and safety's. I have to get the crank relay out that's mounted above the BCM and check for 12v there. If I don't have power, I need to find a fuse-able link that's before the relay, it should be a constant 12v according to the schematic. I have no idea where that fuse is.
I'll post back when I finish for today. Starting to get hungry and I'm low on Beer.
Peace Out, Go Hawks,
Bob
bobby_w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
I have a update. It will run if I jump starter, the security light is out and the PCM will fire the injectors, no problem.
I do not have 12v at the starter solenoid when I turn the key to start. I have 12v at the PCM/Crank fuse and thats as far as I got today. This is the schematic I got from John at the local Chevy dealer.
(sorry, my scanner is not working so I just used my Nikon)
Passkey III - Page 2 -- posted image.
High Res. Image
The green arrow is where I checked for 12v when the key is turned to star, thats good. I dont know where that fusible link or the crank relay is located (red arrows). I found the connection for the Transaxle switch and Ill check that tomorrow. It looks to me like the PCM sends ground to the Crank Relay and 12v comes from the Transaxle switch via PCM/ABS fuse (I have 12v at that fuse).
The only thing I can think of is I may have blown that Fusible Link when I first started working on this. I did not notice the Security light so I jumped the starter to see if it was good. That could have been a mistake. I dont see on the schematic how I could have blown that fuse but you never know.
So If anyone knows where that fuse or relay is located, or any ideas at all where to go next please let me know.
Peace Out,
Bob
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Try moving the gear shift through all its positions and cranking in neutral
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
bobby_w 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2010 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
91stt wrote:
Try moving the gear shift through all its positions and cranking in neutral
That was one of the first things I tried before it was towed here. I did locate the crank relay, its next to the battery. (picture is better)
So after some testing with my trusty Fluke I found that the relay was good. But I was not getting 12v at the range switch with the key turned to on. So I decided that I just didnt care why, the fuse is good, the wire is open someplace before the trans. range switch.
So I decided to just rewire the crank relay. I cut the wire from the range switch to the crank relay and ran a new wire to the ign. fuse under the hood. This is where I connected to the fuse block.
The Blue wire is what I cut in. Picture is before solder and a nice tape job.
I ran that wire through the existing loom to the crank relay. And connect it to the org/blk lead from the relay connector.
(Picture of relay splice)
I tested and the Van started, problem solved. So I taped up all the wire loom I had apart and put everything back together.
(Picture of the finished relay)
And finally a picture of the relay back in its home tucked in next to the radiator.
So that's it, the van runs, the security light is out and all is good.
I have no idea how these two thing failed at the same time but they did. The battery was completely shot, that may have cause some damage with low voltage.
Thanks for all the help getting this thing running again.
Bob
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic