icon

kenwood excelon or eclipse speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cachanilla 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2010 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everybody; this is my first post and I want to thank all of you for what I've learned reading this amazing forum! My question is the following: I would like to repleace the front speakers (6.5 3way kenwood KFC-1682) of my 2007 Nitro for a better set. I would like to spend around $75 and I found 2 sets: 

Kenwood KFC-X1700

• 2-Way 2-Speaker System
  • 6-3/4" Carbon-PP Hybrid Cone Woofer
  • Butyl Rubber Surround
  • Cast Aluminum Basket  
  • 3/4" Tetlon Soft Dome Tweeter  
  • Power Handling: 45 watts RMS  
  • Frequency Response: 35 Hz - 25 kHz
  • Sensitivity: 92 dB
  •  or Eclipse SE650.

• 6-1/2" 3-way car speakers
  • hybrid mica-polypropylene woofer with rubber surround
  • 3/4" Mylar dome supertweeter
  • 1" Mylar dome tweeter
  • Neodymium tweeter magnets
  • power handling: 40 watts RMS 
  • frequency response: 55-25,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 90 dB
  • These speakers will be driven by an Alpine MRPF250 (100 rms x 2 @ 4 ohms). I'm looking for quality. What would you recomend?

Thank you

roadshop570 
    Copper - Posts: 128
    Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: June 07, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

The Kenwood Excelon speakers would be a better grade also with a 2 year warranty from Kenwood if its from an authorized dealer.

Chadillac
    cachanilla 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: June 08, 2010 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  
    Thanks roadshop for your input. One more thing, what do you thing about replacing a 3 way speaker for a 2 way speaker on the front doors?
    spmpdr 
    Copper - Posts: 456
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: June 09, 2010 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
    You might look into doing a component set so you have more flexibility with speaker placement and tweeter mounting positions.Also I have always thought that comp sets sound way better and more natural sounding than standard 2way or 3 way speakers.Just my 2 cents.
    I had these before and simply loved them:http://www......com/item_11648_MB+Quart+FSA+216.html
    -A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
    cachanilla 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: June 09, 2010 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
    I thought about that, but how do you do it without any modification of the door panel?
    I would like to keep my install factory look.
    spmpdr 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: June 09, 2010 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
    cachanilla wrote:
    I thought about that, but how do you do it without any modification of the door panel?
    I would like to keep my install factory look.
    You can mount the speakers in the factory spot in the door and make some cheap ,easy pods for the tweeters that can mount on your door ,a pillar or dash.If it were me I would flush mount them in the door panel wich does require you to drill a hole in the panel but often times looks like factory and in some cases makes the door panels look better
    roadshop570 
    Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: June 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

3way speakers are great for providing more sound for less, I mean an extra speaker(super tweeter) per speaker, great for factory radio to an aftermarket and also louder, so can be better than a 2way, but when you get to components its more than mods, its effiiciency, it takes more power to drive these to get to its RMS power to get the sound that most basic coax 2 or3 way speakers at lower output.

Chadillac
    cachanilla 
    Member spacespace
    Posted: June 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, but what about quality; forget loudness. If I can afford an amp to drive those speakers, wich are better and why?

Thank you

spmpdr 
    Copper spacespace
    Posted: June 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
    The comp set will sound better imo.You will have more flexibility with mounting positions of your tweeter to give you optimal sound and proper staging.With a 2 way or 3 way your stuck mounting in the doors with little to no sound adjustments.Also in my experience with 2 and 3 ways in the doors the speakers tend to beam wich creates harshness and lacks clarity .Get an amp and a comp set,you can thank me laterkenwood excelon or eclipse speakers -- posted image.
    roadshop570 
    Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Exactly what spmpdr said, also coaxial speakers usually just have a bass blocker on the tweeter and allows all sound thru both mid and highs where components will seperate the frequencys for each speaker, also making them a better choice.

Chadillac
    Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic